Great news! The Mechanical Service Contractors of Canada (MSCC) has agreed to further suspended the $75 fee for the MSCC Gold Standard Certified Technicians exam until the end of the year. Your service journeymen can register to take the exam at no cost. Simply email the MSCC office, include the list of techs to take the exam and send it directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. Isn't it time you made the leap to truly differentiate your company from the rest?
Bill S-224, the Canada Prompt Payment Act, is going to the House of Commons for review and consideration by Members of Parliament. MCA Canada, together with the National Trade Contractors Coalition of Canada, has been working hard to get this bill passed in the Senate. We now need your help to get it passed in the House of Commons. Please use our tool to write to your Member of Parliament seeking their support for this very important piece of legislation. Simply go to www.promptpayment.ca, fill in a few details and click send. It’s as easy as that! MCA Canada and the NTCCC will continue to lobby on your behalf on Parliament Hill to get this bill passed!
In a recent letter, Skills Canada Director of Business Development, Gail Vent, thanked MCA Canada for its support of the annual Skills Canada National Competition.
It is with great sadness that we share with you the passing of one of our Old Timers and dedicated members of our industry.
The MCAC Member Multimedia Information Program delivers timely and valuable information to our entire membership via email (Just The Fax), the internet (www.mcac.ca) and direct mail. The program’s goal is to provide every MCA member with regular information on upcoming events, programs and projects. In addition, each communication will feature one of our Membership Advantage Programs, which can save you thousands of dollars each year.
This month's program is brought to you thanks to the generosity of our featured associate member, Maestro Technologies.
- Waves of Discovery is the theme of MCA Canada’s 76th Annual National Conference in Maui, Hawaii, November 6–9. For all your ‘need to know’ information regarding the conference, the 2017 Planning Guide and Registration Form will arrive in your mail in the week or so. Online registration will also be open very soon at www.mcac.ca. We look forward to seeing you in Maui this November!
- National Bulletin, summer 2017 – The summer edition of MCA Canada’s National Bulletin includes updates on important association and industry programs, services, projects and events. Save the dates for the Construction Education Council’s upcoming programs and see what’s next for the Service Division.
- Construction Education Council – CEC is pleased to announce that it will again offer its highly acclaimed Estimating Conference. Halifax, Nova Scotia will be your host city from October 11 to 13. This is a unique conference focusing not on how to estimate, but on project procurement and strategies. Sessions covered will include deal breakers, project risk and go/no go strategies, putting together a proposal, and what a general contractor looks for in its selection process—to name a few. The Conference is led by Jack Wilhelmi and Tim Wentz from MCA America, and Dan Leduc of Norton Rose Fulbright will lead a special session. The conference is limited to 30 attendees, so do not delay in registering your employees. Registration is now open and your information/registration brochure is included in this month’s mail out. For further information, please contact Tania Johnston at 613-232-5169 or by email email@example.com.
- Membership Advantage Program – Commercial Credit Adjusters Ltd. is the preferred supplier of debt collection and receivable management solutions to MCA Canada members. CCA is one of Canada’s most respected suppliers of debt collection services and is licensed and bonded in all provinces and territories in Canada. MCAC members will receive preferred pricing on the full suite of receivable management tools we can offer members to help mitigate bad debt write offs.
- This month's program brought to you by MAESTRO TECHNOLOGIES – Founded in 1989, Maestro Technologies is a leading developer of integrated software solutions for the construction industry. Their portfolio of software solutions was designed from day one to address the dynamic, project-driven environment of the construction industry. From submitting initial bids, to tracking change order details, determining percentage of completion, and managing payroll – the Maestro*ERP solution tracks costs, revenues and communications from planning to closing using one single user interface. Combine their maestro*ERP Service Call Dispatch module with their world-class maestro*MOBILE applications to benefit from real-time service call management including the ability to view, add and modify schedules, send live updates, schedule service calls in advance, and to create a pool of maintenance calls for clear planning and tracking complete with a tight integration into our accounting / financial module. Their solutions are now being enjoyed by thousands of users – all from within the construction industry – to improve efficiency and drive revenue.
Sponsorship is now open for MCA Canada's 76th National Conference taking place November 6–9 in Maui, Hawaii. Our Sponsorship Program includes several levels, each offering a unique blend of
networking and marketing opportunities. These opportunities increase your profile while
allowing delegates to familiarize themselves with the outstanding products and services
your company provides. Bring your brand to life and reach a select demographic of professional decision makers and industry influencers from all across the country. You can view the Sponsorship Brochure by clicking the link below, visiting www.mcac.ca, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 613-232-0492.
MCA Canada would like to recognize our contractor and associate member companies that are celebrating 100 years in business. If your company is commemorating its centenary in 2017, please contact the MCA Canada office. We would very much like to acknowledge this tremendous achievement in our newsletter and at our national conference in November. Download the submission form, and send the completed document by email to email@example.com or fax to 613-235-2793.
CEC and Federated Insurance have extended the deadline to apply for this year's Federated Insurance Scholarship. The deadline is now July 7, so act quickly!
If your company has an employee who has a son or daughter currently studying to be in the mechanical contracting industry, or if you're a member of an MCA student chapter, the scholarship can help. Download the scholarship criteria and the scholarship application or contact Tania Johnston at 613-232-5169 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
The 2017 Construction Technology Report survey is now live. Take the survey and get your complimentary copy of the results to learn the top construction technology trends among thousands of builders in 2017.
The Canadian Apprenticeship Forum's next national conference is scheduled for June 10–12, 2018 in Montréal, QC. CAF-FCA's National Apprenticeship Conference will bring Canada's apprenticeship community together to highlight promising practices and innovative solutions in apprenticeship training. More than 500 delegates are expected to participate over three days. Learn about how you can get involved!
In preparation for CAF-FCA's annual general meeting on October 26, the Nomination Committee is calling for nominations to fill seats subject to election.
It’s back! The Construction Education Council is pleased to announce fall dates for its always-popular Project Management for Contractors course. The highly acclaimed Gold Seal and Blue Seal accredited program is offered in partnership with the University of Waterloo. It takes place over a 10-day period and is split into two five-day sessions. To date, nearly 900 managers have graduated from the program. Week one of the program is scheduled for November 16-20; week two is booked for December 7-11. This program always sells out, so don’t delay. Register today.
With more variables, more inputs and more moving parts, a construction site is much more dynamic than a typical manufacturing environment. Add in the relative unpredictability of things like weather, and it's clear that leveraging big data in the construction industry is not going to be as straightforward an endeavour as in other industries.
328: The official opening of Constantine's Bridge built over the Danube.
1610: John Guy sets sail from Bristol with 39 other colonists for Newfoundland.
1687: Isaac Newton publishes Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica outlining laws of motion and universal gravitation.
1841: Thomas Cook opens first travel agency.
1865: US Secret Service begins operating under the Treasury Department.
1919: Red Sox Babe Ruth hits two HRs in a game for the first of 72 times.
1937: Spam, the luncheon meat, is introduced into the market by the Hormel Foods Corporation.
1942: Ian Fleming, author of James Bond fame, graduates from a training school for spies in Canada.
1945: The liberation of the Philippines is declared.
1946: The bikini goes on sale after debuting during an outdoor fashion show at the Molitor Pool in Paris, France.
1950: American and North Korean forces clash in the Battle of Osan.
1954: The BBC broadcasts its first television news bulletin.
1954: Elvis Presley records his first single, "That's All Right," at Sun Records in Memphis, Tennessee.
1971: The twenty-sixth amendment to the United States Constitution, which lowers the voting age from 21 to 18 years, is formally certified by President Richard Nixon.
1975: Arthur Ashe becomes the first black man to win the Wimbledon singles title.
1981: The AIDS epidemic officially begins when US Centers for Disease Control reports on pneumonia affecting five homosexual men in Los Angeles.
1989: Oliver North is sentenced to a three-year suspended prison term, two years’ probation, $150,000 in fines and 1,200 hours community service for his involvement in the Iran–Contra affair. His convictions are later overturned.
1994: Amazon.com founded by Jeff Bezos.
1996: Dolly the sheep becomes the first mammal cloned from an adult cell.
The latest economic report comes amid increased speculation that the Bank of Canada could raise its key interest rate target next month.
Registration is now open for Innovations in Apprenticeship, an event that will focus on alternate delivery of apprenticeship technical training, including how new approaches are accommodating under-represented groups. We want to discuss how apprenticeship training is adapting to technology trends and calls for diversity, while continuing to develop the highly-skilled tradespeople required by the Canadian economy.
View the agenda and join the Canadian Apprenticeship Forum on October 26 and 27.
Without the support of golf participants and sponsors, the CEC fundraising golf tournament would not be the success it is. We still have a handful of spots open for play on July 12—that’s next week!—but in the meantime we’d like to graciously thank our sponsors for their support.
- Gold sponsors: Bradford White, MCA Ontario, UA, Victaulic
- Silver sponsor: MASCO
- Dinner sponsor: Ontario Pipe Trades Council
- Golf balls: DMS Industrial & Wolseley
- Pin flags: Chicago Faucets/Dobbin Sales
- Beverage carts: DMS Industrial
- Hole-in-one contest: Federated Insurance
- Cup inserts and water holes: OS&B
- Beat the Broker: AON
- Golf tees: Bibby Ste. Croix
- On-course challenges: Quality Control Council, IPEX, Milwaukee, Noble, Engie, Allpriser, MASCO
- Trophies: Sportvision
- Hole sponsors: Aecon, Anvil International, Bradford White, DEWALT, Kilmer, MCA Kitchener-Waterloo, MCA Ontario, MCA Toronto, OGCA, UA Canada, Victaulic, Wolseley
If you would like to register for the golf tournament, please contact Tania Johnston at 613-232-5169 or email@example.com.
- July 12: CEC Golf Tournament, Royal Ontario Golf Club, Milton, ON
- July 13: CANS Developing Executives Meet and Greet, Halifax, NS
- September 21: CIPHEX Roadshow, St. John’s, NL
- September 29: CANS 155th AGM, St. Andrew's By-The-Sea, NB
- September 29-October 1: MCA Toronto AGM, Collingwood, ON
- October 2-4: CCA Meetings, Niagara Falls, ON
- October 15-18: MSCA Educational Conference, Boca Raton, Florida
- October 17: CIPHEX Roadshow, Edmonton, AB
- October 19: CIPHEX Roadshow, Regina, SK
- November 6-9: MCA Canada’s 76th National Conference, Maui, Hawaii
Operation Eyesight has prevented more than 35 million people from facing the needless tragedy of preventable blindness. Their work is focused in places where blindness can be deadly, especially to those who are very young, old or poor. MCA Canada's members, offices and staff have made significant contributions to help in this worthwhile cause but we still have a long way to go.