Print this Article | Send to Colleague
New Data Presented by Visus Therapeutics at ARVO Annual Meeting
Visus Therapeutics Inc. presented new scientific data at the 2022 Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO) Annual Meeting, held May 1-4, 2022 in Denver, Colorado. The presentations highlighted topics on new research findings including BRIMOCHOLTM PF, the company’s lead product candidate for the treatment of presbyopia, and preclinical data on an early-stage drug candidate for corneal wound healing.
“We are pleased to share these scientific findings with the ophthalmic research community at ARVO 2022,” said Rhett Schiffman, MD, MS, MHSA, co-founder, chief medical officer and head of research and development at Visus Therapeutics. “Our non-clinical work with BRIMOCHOL PF demonstrating additive effects of brimonidine on the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of carbachol proved predictive of our clinical results showing contribution of elements in our Phase 2 study. In addition, our studies of histatin in non-clinical models have generated previously unrecognized insights into the potentially broad clinical utility in managing acute and chronic conditions of all layers of the cornea.”
Scientific presentations were as follows:
- Paper Title: Histatin Improves Corneal Wound Healing in a Rabbit Model of Surgical Keratectomy
- Presenter: James Burke, Visus Therapeutics
- Summary: This study evaluated the effects of topical ocular administration of histatin-1 on corneal wound healing in a surgical keratectomy rabbit model; demonstrating statistically significant accelerated wound healing as well as inhibition of stromal keratocyte dropout, decreased endothelial cell loss, and reduced corneal nerve loss suggesting broad clinical utility in managing acute and chronic conditions of all layers of the cornea.
- Poster Title: Nonclinical Pharmacokinetics and Pharmacodynamics of Brimochol, a Combination Product for the Treatment of Presbyopia
- Presenter: Rozemarijn Verhoeven, MTox, Little Creek Research
- Summary: Evaluation of the ocular distribution and pupil diameter effect in two non-clinical studies with the fixed dose combination Brimochol in pigmented rabbits showed effective pupil size reductions for up to 12 hours and demonstrated the additive effects of brimonidine on the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of carbachol increasing the duration of miotic effect while improving the ocular tolerability profile compared to carbachol alone.
About Visus Therapeutics
With offices in Seattle, Washington, and Irvine, California, Visus Therapeutics is a clinical-stage pharmaceutical company focused on developing innovative ophthalmic therapies to improve vision for people around the world. The company is developing a novel, pupil-modulating formulation designed to be a once-daily eye drop to correct the loss of near vision associated with presbyopia. In parallel, Visus Therapeutics is focused on advancing its pipeline of early-stage ophthalmic drug candidates with applications in corneal wound healing, glaucoma, and age-related macular degeneration.