On February 1, MCA Canada is moving but don’t worry: we’re not going far. In fact, we’re moving up one floor to suite 701. Everything else remains the same. Please note that during the move, the MCA Canada office may experience some short-term disruptions in our communications so please bear with us! Here are our new coordinates:
MCA Canada, 701–280 Albert St,Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5G8,
Tel: 613-232-0492, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
, Website: www.mcac.ca
MCA Canada Information Guide and Membership Directory:
On its way to your office is the 2017 edition of MCA Canada’s 'Information Guide and Membership Directory'.
The Information Guide is an all-in-one magazine distributed to members and key
industry stakeholders to provide a comprehensive list of MCAC programs and services.
MCA Canada hopes you will use this valuable resource to assist in managing your
Membership Advantage Program – PARK’ N FLY:
MCA Canada has recently renegotiated our arrangement with our Park’ N Fly
partners to increase the discount members have available. Park’ N Fly is
Canada’s leasing airport parking company with operations in Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto,
Ottawa, Montreal and Halifax.
month's program brought to you by JONAS SOFTWARE:
& Service Management Software is a fully integrated management solution,
designed to help businesses improve productivity and increase profitability.
Mechanical contracting has always been a strong focus when they develop their
software and as a special offer to all MCAC members, Jonas would like to extend a 15%
discount on their license fees. To receive this discount, simply reference that you
are a MCAC member and they will get you started on taking your business to the next level.
Next week, student chapter members from McMaster University, the University of Waterloo and the University of Toronto will convene for two days in Hamilton, ON.
The Canadian Design-Build Institute has recently released a new bulletin designed to help owners better understand design-build. Document 105: Design-Build Now 2016 is now available on the CDBI website. This is a great tool for contractors and consultants to give to owners who are considering design-build but want more information.
Investment in non-residential building construction totalled $12.3 billion in the fourth quarter, down 0.7% from the previous quarter. This was the seventh decrease in eight quarters. Spending on commercial building construction fell 0.9% to $7.2 billion in the fourth quarter. The decline nationally was primarily attributable to lower spending on office buildings. Investment in industrial projects was down 2.8% from the third quarter to $1.7 billion in the fourth quarter. At the national level, the decline was attributable to lower investment in the construction of farm and utilities buildings. Investment in institutional building construction rose 0.5% from the previous quarter to $3.5 billion in the fourth quarter. Higher spending on the construction of nursing homes and retirement residences was largely responsible for the advance nationally.
If you are interested in further information or to register for any of the following courses, please contact your local MCA office or you can contact the CEC office directly at 613-232-5169, email@example.com
February 8: Proactive Service – Calgary, AB
February 9–10: Dispatcher – Nanaimo, BC
March 29–30: Proactive Service for Technicians – Saskatoon, SK
March 30–31: Dispatcher – Calgary, AB
The Construction Education Council will offer the 39th session of its Gold Seal accredited 10-day project-management program this spring. This course is always a sellout, so don’t delay. Registration is now open
. For further information, contact Tania Johnston at 613-232-5169 or firstname.lastname@example.org
. Dates of the next program are March 30–April 3 and April 20–24.
Statistics Canada's Labour Force Survey report for December 2016 records a country-wide gain in total employment of 54,000 jobs. In the fourth quarter of 2016, employment increased by 108,000 ( 0.6%), the largest increase since the second quarter of 2010. This followed a gain of 62,000 ( 0.3%) in the third quarter. In the 12 months to December, employment gains totalled 214,000 or 1.2%, compared with a growth rate of 0.9% observed over the same period one year earlier. A year-end review is presented in a separate section below.
The Lean Construction Institute of Canada's training day will take place May 3 and the conference runs May 4–5 at the Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre Hotel.
- February 2–4: MCA Canada Student Chapter Summit, Hamilton, ON
- March 3: International Alliance of MCAs Meeting, San Diego, California
- March 4: CANS Developing Executives Curling Bonspiel, Halifax, NS
- March 5–9: MCA of America Convention, San Diego, California
- March 9: MCA Saskatchewan 72nd AGM, Saskatoon, SK
- March 10–11: MCA Saskatchewan 45th Bonspiel, Saskatoon, SK
- March 11: World Plumbing Day, worldwide
- March 19–23: CCA National Conference, Riviera Maya, Mexico
- April (TBA): National Stakeholders Red Seal, Ottawa, ON
- April 9–10: MCA Canada Mid-year Meetings, Ottawa, ON
- April 11: MCAC and CIPH Day on Parliament Hill, Ottawa, ON
- April 20: MCA Hamilton AGM & Trade Show, Hamilton ON
- April 21: CANS De-Icer, Halifax, NS
- April 26: MCA Manitoba AGM, Winnipeg, MB
- April 26–27: CMMTQ MCEE Tradeshow, Montréal, QC
- May: MCA Western Regional Meeting, TBA, SK
- May 5–7: MCA British Columbia/Alberta Conference, Victoria, BC
- May 11–19: MCA of Ontario AGM, Edinburgh, Scotland
- May 25: CANS Golf Tournament, Halifax, NS
- May 26–28: CCA Meetings, St. John’s, NL
- June 6: MCA Canada Western Regional Meetings, Saskatoon, SK
- June 15: MCA Sask/ASHRAE Golf Tournament, Deer Valley Golf Club, SK
- June 22: MCA Sask/Ron Young Memorial Golf, Moon Lake Golf and Country Club, SK
- June 23: MCA Eastern Regional Meeting, St. John’s, NL
- June 25–27: CIPH Annual Business Conference, Ottawa, ON
- July 12: CEC Golf Tournament, Location TBA
- July 13: CANS Developing Executives Meet and Greet, Halifax, NS
- September 21: CIPHEX Roadshow, St. John’s, NL
- September 29: CANS 155th AGM, St. Andrew's By-The-Sea, NB
- September 29–October 1: MCA Toronto AGM, Collingwood, ON
- October 15–18: MSCA Educational Conference, Boca Raton, Florida
- October 17: CIPHEX Roadshow, Edmonton, AB
- October 19: CIPHEX Roadshow, Regina, SK
- November 6–9: MCA Canada’s 76th National Conference, Maui, Hawaii
Helping our members businesses grow is one of MCA Canada’s highest priorities. In an effort to assist our members we continue to offer the "Membership Advantage Program." Several national companies have partnered with MCA Canada to save members money and time on every day business and personal items. Whether it’s work wear, insurance coverage, vehicles, HR services, safety products, fuel savings and more, your Membership Advantage Program will help.Members can access the specific contact information and discount codes in the members only section of the website, which is accessed through the "Login" tab on the main page of the website.
Our newest program is from AON Home & Auto Insurance
. Members and their entire staff will enjoy discounted insurance on home and auto insurance. For a free quote visit the website at www.mca.aon.ca
or call 1.800.448.2539.
We still need your help! Operation Eyesight has prevented more than 35 million people from facing the needless tragedy of preventable blindness. Their work is focused in places where blindness can be deadly, especially to those who are very young, old or poor. MCA Canada's members, offices and staff have made significant contributions to help in this worthwhile cause but we still have a long way to go.