NEW – PEI: Opportunities for propane in speech from the throne
On Thursday, February 25, 2021, the provincial government gave its second speech from the throne for the Province of Prince Edward Island. The throne speech focused on three major sectors: health, seniors and the environment.
The government says its main focus is to rebuild the economy post COVID-19 by investing in the health sector but there are also opportunities for propane in helping the province reduce GHGs.
Areas where propane could be included:
- A $50-million fund to assist new and existing businesses to adopt and develop clean technology solutions.
- A $10-million research and development fund for the clean technology sector.
- The establishment of a P.E.I. Energy Academy and Eco-Innovation Park.
- Programs to build a social housing supply which could fit well with the Rapid Housing Initiative introduced by the federal government last year.
Also, the government will be considering policy, programs and budgetary proposals on reducing GHGs for the following:
- Expanding energy efficiency programs with a particular focus on assisting low-income Islanders;
- Assisting municipalities in becoming more sustainable;
- Implementing an Island-wide public transit system and increasing the commitment to active transportation; and
- Introducing free energy audits for farmers to assist in reducing energy consumption.