We're Hiring! SCAPA Announces Search for New Technical Director
The South Carolina Asphalt Pavement Association (SCAPA) is a nonprofit trade association dedicated to the promotion of asphalt pavement. Its membership is comprised of asphalt producers and companies affiliated with the asphalt industry in South Carolina.
SCAPA is seeking a full-time Technical Director. The Technical Director will report to the Executive Director of the South Carolina Asphalt Pavement Association (SCAPA). This individual will provide technical assistance to the staff and membership of the South Carolina Asphalt Pavement Association in both the public and private arenas.
The Technical Director will be responsible for keeping up with the latest trends and technology in asphalt mix design, pavement design and construction. Some travel will be required to attend regional or national seminars in order to obtain this information.
The Technical Director will be required to participate in all SCAPA board meetings and serve as the staff consultant to SCAPA Committees, which meet throughout the year.
The SCAPA office is located in Columbia, SC; however, the candidate may work remotely as the position requires statewide travel.
- Frequently represent industry before agency offices (federal, state, cities and counties)
- Frequently visit proposed and ongoing projects, and member facilities across South Carolina.
- Work with the state agency as specifications are revised
- Lead the SCAPA Quality Improvement Committee specification reviews related to asphalt, and keep members up-to-date on the latest specification changes. This will require an in-depth knowledge of SCDOT’s specifications, policies, and procedures
- Attendance at association, county & municipal engineer, and professional meetings.
- Increase SCAPA presence with engineers, architects, and owners to help educate them on new agency practices and specifications.
- Promote industry before engineering and construction science management programs at various SC colleges and universities.
- Assist staff with providing technical content for association communications.
- Prepare technical reports, articles and bulletins for industry when necessary.
- Technical Marketing to include conducting technical trainings and seminars and participating in speaking engagements at industry conferences.
- Serve as a technical resource for SCAPA members and the public.
- Direct SCAPA’s research efforts, to include drafting RFPs for research projects and managing research projects outsourced to consultants.
- Participate on various technical committees with other partner associations or agencies.
- Direct SCAPA Quality Pavement Awards Program.
Undergraduate Degree in Civil Engineering (PE Preferred) or Construction Science Management OR a minimum of 8-10 years’ experience in the asphalt paving industry in either the private or public sector.
- Strong technical background in asphalt design, construction, and maintenance
- Strong verbal and written communication skills; comfortable with public speaking
- Proficient computer skills and experience using Microsoft Office (experience using and analyzing Excel preferred)
- Self-starter and able to work independently
- Ability to multi-task/manage multiple projects
In summary, the main responsibilities of the Technical Director with respect to the above duties would be centered on supporting and marketing the use of asphalt pavement in the state of South Carolina through his or her technical expertise and providing technical support to members. This is a full time position. Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience.
SCAPA is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please send a resume and a list of 3 professional references to email@example.com.