Today we’re starting off with professional development tracks followed by the Food for Thought Luncheon with a keynote address from Amelia Rose Earhart, a single-engine aircraft pilot who flew around the world and president of Fly with Amelia Foundation.
End your conference with a laugh! Tonight is the Connect & Celebrate Dinner that starts with music from Michael Andrew and the Swingerhead Band followed by stand-up comedian Jeff Allen. Jeff Allen’s rapid-fire humor, which centers on marriage and family, is a hit with all ages. A live comedy favorite, Jeff, has appeared on Dry Bar Comedy, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Showtime & Comedy Central. Recognitions will be given during the dinner, including the Presidential Awards and the swearing-in of the APCO Executive Committee & Board of Directors. Tickets are available for purchase at registration.
- Join us this morning at 7 for a guided meditation to ease into your morning, courtesy of the Wellness Program.
- Any session handouts provided by speakers will be located within the session information in the app. You will see an icon for “Handouts.” If you don’t see a session handout for a session that you attended, this means the speaker didn’t provide any handouts.
- Complete your evaluations while at conference through the mobile app. Look for the “Evaluation” button within the session information in the app. You can also access evaluations from your desktop by logging into the schedule builder and clicking on the tab “Evaluations.”
- Check out photos from APCO 2023 on our Flickr page.
- Check your inbox over the next few days for our conference survey – we want your feedback!
- We look forward to seeing you next year at APCO 2024 in Orlando!
APCO 2023’s Distinguished Achievers Breakfast recognized APCO members and contributors on Tuesday, and the Nashville, Tennessee, Music City Center audience heard from Olympic gymnast and business owner Dominique Dawes about the value of setting aside one’s ego. The first thing she told the APCO 2024 breakfast crowd is that now, at the age of 46 going on 47, she can’t do back flips anymore and that she is no longer striving for perfect 10s. Most importantly, she’s happier as a result.
Before Dawes spoke, APCO Chief Executive Officer Derek Poarch thanked corporate sponsors of APCO 2023 and introduced graduates of APCO’s Certified Public-Safety Executive Program. The Commission for Accreditation of Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA), announced the 22 emergency communications centers (ECCs) that have earned accreditation from the program and the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC) recognized new member agencies of the Missing Kids Readiness Program.
APCO International’s new second vice president is Mark Spross of the Oregon chapter, selected in a runoff election by the assembled membership at the second General Business Session of APCO 2024 held Tuesday in Nashville, Tennessee.
Before the vote, APCO CEO Derek Poarch delivered the 2023 Annual Association Report, saying the state of the association is “overwhelmingly strong.”
APCO members also heard briefings from the Federal Communications Commission, the Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau; and the Department of Homeland Security.