CooperVision Expands Commitment to Sustainability; clariti® 1 day Becomes First Net Plastic Neutral Contact Lens in the U.S.
To provide an easy way for eye care professionals and their patients to be more sustainable — and expand the company’s commitment to making a positive impact on the environment — CooperVision announces a breakthrough partnership with Plastic Bank® that makes its clariti® 1 day family the first net plastic neutral contact lenses.1
Plastic Bank is a social enterprise building ethical recycling ecosystems in coastal communities that reprocesses the materials for reintroduction into the global supply chain. Collectors receive a premium for the materials they collect, which helps them provide basic family necessities such as groceries, cooking fuel, school tuition and health insurance. For every box of clariti® 1 day distributed in the United States, CooperVision funds the collection, processing and reuse of general plastic waste that is equal to the weight of the plastic contained in clariti® 1 day lenses and packaging.2
“Our dedication to the good of the planet has become central to how CooperVision operates. We have a strong record of sustainable manufacturing and operations, focused on areas in which we can make the greatest impact,” said Melissa Kiewe, Vice President of Marketing, Americas, CooperVision. “Plastic plays a critical role in the hygienic delivery and sterile protection of our contact lenses and how that plastic is managed is important to us. The commitment to making clariti® 1 day net plastic neutral is the next step in CooperVision’s sustainability journey — and provides a unique opportunity for eye care professionals to offer even more value to their patients.”3
“Plastic Bank works with like-minded and sustainability driven partners to stop ocean plastic and improve lives,” said David Katz, Founder and CEO at Plastic Bank. “Together with CooperVision, we’re offering the eye care industry the opportunity to make lasting environmental, social and economic impact.”
Research shows that U.S. consumers are paying more attention to the sustainability practices of the companies with which they choose to do business. A 2020 survey4 by The Recycling Partnership revealed that 70% of Americans would go out of their way to support a company that makes strong efforts to be sustainable. Sustainability is likewise becoming a higher priority, as 78% of consumers are more conscious of supporting green/sustainable companies versus five years ago.
A recent survey commissioned by CooperVision revealed that 93% of U.S. eye care professionals agree that keeping plastic out of the oceans is important to them,3 and 84% agree that manufacturers need to take responsibility for the waste they create.4
“Our practice takes many small measures to be as sustainable as possible, as it’s important to my staff, my patients, and me. The clariti® 1 day family have always been my go-to lenses in my practice due to the ocular health benefits5 and the clear, crisp, comfortable vision they provide to my patients,” said Jennifer Stewart, OD, of Norwalk Eye Care in Norwalk, Connecticut. “The clariti® 1 day net plastic neutral initiative is a great way to reassure my patients that 1-day is the healthiest way to wear soft contact lenses, and through this net plastic neutral initiative, we’re able to make an immediate impact for the planet.”
CooperVision’s full family of clariti® 1 day lenses — including clariti® 1 day sphere, toric, and multifocal — enable eye care professionals to fit more of their patients in silicone hydrogel 1-day lenses.6 clariti® 1 day lenses have a high oxygen transmissibility (up to 3x the Dk/t of some hydrogel 1-day toric lenses7), allowing for 100 percent corneal oxygen consumption8 which helps maintain ocular health. In addition, the lenses’ high water content supports excellent all-day comfort.9 Through innovations in manufacturing, CooperVision is able to offer clariti® 1 day at a price comparable to hydrogel contact lenses.10
“clariti® 1 day is CooperVision’s most prescribed 1-day contact lens. It already delivers high performance and incredible everyday value,11 but it now offers the opportunity for a better future — for our planet and the people who live on it,” Kiewe said. “By simply fitting and wearing clariti® 1 day, it’s easy for ECPs and their patients to make a difference—together.”
For more information about CooperVision clariti® 1 day and its net plastic neutral initiative, visit www.one-day-better.com
1. clariti® 1 day is defined as orders and includes clariti® 1 day sphere, clariti® 1 day toric, and clariti® 1 day multifocal product sold & distributed by CooperVision in the US. Net plastic neutrality is established by purchasing credits from Plastic Bank. A credit represents the collection and conversion of one kilogram of plastic that may reach or be destined for waterways. CooperVision purchases credits equal to the weight of plastic in clariti® 1 day orders in a specified time period. clariti® 1 day plastic is determined by the weight of plastic in the blister, the lens, and the secondary package, including laminates, adhesives, and auxiliary inputs (e.g. ink). CVI data on file 2020. Sustainability report, clariti® 1 day in US. Based on top 4 global contact lens manufacturers.
2. Amount is defined as weight. Net plastic neutrality is established by purchasing credits from Plastic Bank. A credit represents the collection and conversion of one kilogram of plastic that may reach or be destined for waterways. CooperVision purchases credits equal to the weight of plastic in clariti® 1 day orders in a specified time period. clariti® 1 day plastic is determined by the weight of plastic in the blister, the lens, and the secondary package, including laminates, adhesives, and auxiliary inputs (e.g. ink). CVI data on file 2020. Sustainability report, clariti® 1 day in US.
3. CVI data on file 2020. Decision Analyst online survey with 1-day soft contact lens wearers in the U.S., n=304. Top 3 box on 7 point scale.
4. The Recycling Partnership 2020. https://recyclingpartnership.org/americas-prefer-sustainable-companies/
5. With higher oxygen permeability than hydrogel materials, silicone hydrogel contact lenses minimize or eliminate hypoxia-related signs and symptoms during lens wear.
6. CVI data on file 2021; Rx coverage database n=203,946 eyes; 14 to 41 years for clariti® 1 day sphere and clariti® 1 day toric; 42 to 70 years for clariti® 1 day multifocal. Combined 82.2% coverage.
7. Based on manufacturers published data. clariti 1 day has Dk/t of 86. Compared to Proclear 1 day (Dk/t 28), 1-day Acuvue Moist (Dk/t 25.5), Dailies Aquacomfort Plus (Dk/t 26) and Biotrue ONEday (Dk/t 42).
8. Brennan NA. Beyond Flux: Total Corneal Oxygen Consumption as an Index of Corneal Oxygenation During Contact Lens Wear. Optom Vis Sci. 2005;82(6):467-472.
9. CooperVision data on file, 2019. clariti® 1 day Wearer Experience Survey conducted online in U.S., n=298: sphere, toric or multifocal; habitual FRP, DD, and new wearers who purchased clariti® 1 day; strongly or somewhat agree.
10. Based on 166 participating eye care professionals in a multi-national online survey, 2016.
11. CVI data on file 2020. prospective, double masked, bilateral, randomized cross-over dispensing 1-week study, with clariti® 1 day and 1-DAY ACUVUE® MOIST in FRP SiHy wearers. N=55; p<0.01