Walman Scholarships Available
Walman Scholarships Available
Walman has established a scholarship program to encourage and assist students at schools and colleges of optometry. Scholarships are offered each year for full-time study at participating schools selected by Walman.
This program is administered by Scholarship America®, the nation’s largest designer and manager of scholarship, tuition assistance and other education support programs for corporations, foundations, associations and individuals. Awards are granted without regard to creed, religion, sexual orientation, gender, age, disability or national origin.
The Walman Scholarship Program encourages students that self-identify as Black or African American to apply. Up to ten awards will be granted to applicants that self-identify as Black or African American that meet eligibility requirements.
Applicants to Walman Scholarship Program must be students both:
1. Attending one of the following schools and colleges of optometry:
- University of Alabama at Birmingham, School of Optometry (Birmingham, AL)
- Midwestern University, Arizona College of Optometry (Glendale, AZ)
- University of California, Berkeley, School of Optometry (Berkeley, CA)
- Southern California College of Optometry (Fullerton, CA)
- Western University of Health Sciences, College of Optometry (Pomona, CA)
- Nova Southeastern University, Health Professions Division, College of Optometry (Ft.
- Illinois College of Optometry (Chicago, IL)
- Indiana University, School of Optometry (Bloomington, IN)
- University of Pikeville, Kentucky College of Optometry (Pikeville, KY)
- New England College of Optometry (Boston, MA )
- Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, School of Optometry
- Midwestern University, Chicago College of Optometry (Downers Grove, IL)
- Michigan College of Optometry, Ferris State University (Big Rapids, Ml)
- University of Missouri – St. Louis, College of Optometry (St. Louis, MO)
- State University of New York, State College of Optometry (New York, NY)
- The Ohio State University, College of Optometry (Columbus, OH)
- Northeastern State University, Oklahoma College of Optometry (Tahlequah, OK)
- Pacific University, College of Optometry (Forest Grove, OR)
- Pennsylvania College of Optometry, Salus University (Elkins Park, PA)
- Southern College of Optometry (Memphis, TN)
- University of Houston, College of Optometry (Houston, TX)
- University of the Incarnate Word, Rosenberg School of Optometry (San Antonio, TX)
2. Currently enrolled in the second or third year of a full-time four-year postgraduate program leading to a Doctor of Optometry degree.
If selected as a recipient, the student will receive an award of $5,000. Awards are not renewable, but students may reapply to the program each year they meet eligibility requirements.
Awards may be used for education-related expenses and are only for post-graduate study leading to a Doctor of Optometry degree at one of the designated schools.
Interested students must complete the online application with the required transcripts of grades. Grade reports are not acceptable. Online transcripts must display student name, school name, grade and credit hours earned for each course, and term in which each course was taken. A complete transcript is required from the school or college of optometry the applicant currently attends.
Applicants are responsible for gathering and submitting all necessary information. Instructions for completing the Financial Data section of the application are included below. Applications are evaluated on the information supplied; therefore, answer all questions as completely as possible. All information received is considered confidential and is reviewed only by Scholarship America.
Selection of Recipients
Scholarship recipients are selected on the basis of academic record, demonstrated leadership and participation in school community activities, honors, work experience, statement of goals and aspirations, unusual personal or family circumstances, and an outside appraisal.
Selection of recipients is made by Scholarship Management Services. In no instances does any officer or employee of Walman play a part in the selection. All applicants agree to accept the decision as final.
Applicants will be notified by the end of May. Not all applicants to the program will be selected as recipients. Students may reapply to the program each year they meet eligibility requirements.
Payment of Scholarships
Scholarship America processes scholarship payments on behalf of Walman. Payments are made in one installment on August 1. Checks are mailed to each recipient's home address and are made payable to the school for the student or sent via EFT directly to the participating institution.
Recipients have no obligation to Walman. They are, however, required to notify Scholarship America of any changes to address, school enrollment, or other relevant information and to send a complete transcript when requested.
Walman reserves the right to review the conditions and procedures of this scholarship program and to make changes at any time including termination of the program.
Questions regarding the scholarship program should be addressed to:
Walman Scholarship Program
One Scholarship Way
Saint Peter, MN 56082
Telephone: (507) 931-1682