New Group Sponsorship Grant program for apprentices and employers
The Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development has released more information about the new Group Sponsorship Grant. This program will allow an apprentice to complete their training with more than one employer and reduce the burden for construction employers looking to hire apprentices.
Group sponsors consist of two or more people who act as a single sponsor to collectively provide apprentices training. Sponsors can share multiple apprenticeship management and training responsibilities, including:
- interviewing and selecting prospective apprentices and establishing a training network
- coordinating and monitoring the apprentice's on-the-job workplace training
- submitting documentation for apprenticeship application, registration of training agreements and completion of the apprenticeship training programs
- supporting apprentices through the complete apprenticeship cycle, including registration, workplace and classroom-based training, completion and trade certification
- overseeing affiliated employers and organizations who provide apprenticeship training and ensuring they deliver apprenticeship training following the Ontario College of Trades and Apprenticeship Act, its regulations and training standards.
The application is available to existing and new group sponsors. Successful applicants may receive funding for up to three years. Employers and organizations can apply for the Group Sponsorship Grant at Ontario.ca/hireanapprentice.