NRMCA Producer Member Honored for Energy Efficiency
NRMCA Producer member CalPortland has been awarded the 2019 ENERGY STAR® Partner of the Year Sustained Excellence Award by the U.S. Department of Energy. The Glendora, CA-based company has been recognized for the 15th consecutive year for its efforts to protect the environment. CalPortland officials traveled to Washington, DC, earlier this month to receive the award. Over the past year, the company has invested over $100 million to increase its operational efficiency producing an overall energy intensity improvement of over two percent. Key 2018 accomplishments include:
• Improving energy intensity by 17.5-percent and saving $123 million since 2003;
• Construction of a new finish mill at the Oro Grande cement plant to increase utilization and efficiency. Most areas of the plant have been upgraded and optimized, including crushing, raw milling, kiln, finish grinding, transport and cement loadout;
• Construction of two compressed natural gas (CNG) fueling stations to support CalPortland’s new fleet of 118 CNG “Near Zero Emission” engine ready mixed concrete trucks;
• Leveraged the position of CalPortland’s CEO as chair of the Portland Cement Association to promote and support ENERGY STAR throughout the construction material industry and mentoring more than 11 ENERGY STAR industrial partners; and
• Earning ENERGY STAR certification for the seventh consecutive time for the Rillito Cement Plant and for the second time at the Oro Grande Cement Plant while concurrently accepting the ENERGY STAR Challenge for Industry at six new plants and achieving the Challenge at three plants.
ENERGY STAR® is the government-backed symbol for energy efficiency, Since 1992, ENERGY STAR and its partners helped save American families and businesses nearly 4 trillion kilowatt-hours of electricity with associated reductions of over 3 billion metric tons of greenhouse gases. More information about ENERGY STAR can be found www.energystar.gov/about.