Latest Issue of National Concrete Consortium Newsletter Now Available Online
The NCC E-News is issued by the National Concrete Pavement Technology Center. The following are covered in more details with links to research reports.
• The April 2018 MAP Brief, Concrete Overlay Performance on Iowa's Roadways - 2017, provides a summary of the research completed in July 2017 on the performance of concrete overlays in Iowa. Approximately 1,500 miles of concrete overlays constructed over the last 40 years in Iowa were reviewed for performance using Pavement Condition Index (PCI) and International Roughness Index (IRI).
• Researchers at Montana State University's Western Transportation Institute completed a study to develop and characterize economical non-proprietary UHPC mixes made with materials readily available in Montana.
• The FHWA Office of Infrastructure Research & Development sponsored a field study to evaluate the bond between a UHPC overlay and a substrate concrete bridge deck on a bridge in Brandon, Iowa.
• The Virginia Department of Transportation, in cooperation with FHWA, studied the performance of closure pours and concrete overlays on two parallel bridges over Dunlap Creek in Alleghany County, VA.
• The Minnesota Department of Transportation published a report recommending innovative mechanistic-based procedures for monitoring concrete early-age development and evaluating the effect of early traffic opening on long-term damage accumulation.
Click here to access the newsletter.