The MPI Toronto Chapter hosted several virtual events in September: A Professional Development (PD) Workshop on Sept. 15 and the Annual General Meeting (AGM) on Sept. 24 followed by a Just Networking session.
The opening remark from our chapter president, Margaret Binns — “Inspire hope” — set the tone for the chapter’s first virtual AGM. At this meeting, we addressed all the volunteers and longtime members for their time and commitment to the MPI Toronto Chapter. A 5-Star Education Award was presented to Jessica Toro from Women's College Hospital for her volunteer contributions, leadership, commitment and dedication. Financial results were reviewed as well as other items on the agenda. Congratulations to all the 5-Star Award winners!
Following the AGM, members stayed on to attend a Just Networking event where three topics were discussed:
- Fall is coming - What strategies do you have planned to have an awesome fall season?
- Sustainability post-COVID-19 - How has COVID-19 affected your sustainability program?
- Hybrid/virtual events - What works and what doesn’t?
Key takeaways from these discussions:
1. Fall season
Many members have shifted their focus onto new opportunities, i.e. part-time jobs, back to school and taking charge successfully
2. Sustainability post COVID-19
What does sustainability mean:
- Reducing carbon footprint on the planet;
- Financial ability to keep your business going;
- Quality of life - how to make it a better world for everybody;
- Sustainability of our industry; and
- Learning new skills and adapting.
3. Hybrid /Virtual Events (see below)
We would like to thank our sponsors: Destination Toronto, DE Systems and Ignite. Without you, our events wouldn’t have been a success.