October 15, 2020 – Just Networking
Stephan Dyer, co-founder of MalPensando, and Izzy Piyale-Sheard were guest speakers at “Just Networking” on Oct. 15, 2020. They shared valuable insights on how to speak on virtual calls so people will listen and remember you.
Stephan started off with these quotes:
“Authenticity over perfection”
“Relationships move at the speed of vulnerability”
He spoke about "uncommon commonality." As a speaker, uncover if you have uncommon commonality with your audience (e.g., share your background or challenges you have in your job). If your audience has the same challenges as you, they will feel more connected to you.
Stephan also shared the formula for communication when doing a virtual presentation:
- 70% is body language — how you look.
- 20% is tonality — how you sound.
- 10% is content — what you say.
They wrapped up the session by giving the audience five do's when doing virtual calls:
- Crowd work, interact with people.
- Come with an agenda.
- Use a professional virtual background, not distracting.
- Acknowledge your personal background and current situation.
- Dress according to the type of event/presentation.
The last key takeaway is to ensure your audience has a voice. Find those who look engaged and ask them direct questions.
Thank you to our sponsors for this event: