Reaching Your Peak Performance!
Join your fellow MCA Canada for the 2018 Annual National Conference in Whistler, British Columbia, Sept. 19-22. This year's conference will again feature a huge variety of speakers, as well as spectacular outdoor activities, fine dining, nightlife, shopping, golf and exciting social events. What are you waiting for? Register today! While you're at it, secure your hotel room at the fabulous Westin Whistler Resort and Spa in the Coastal Mountains – only $209 per night!
The MCAC Member Multimedia Information Program delivers timely and valuable information to our entire membership via email (Just The Fax), the internet (www.mcac.ca) and direct mail. The program’s goal is to provide every MCA member with regular information on upcoming events, programs and projects. In addition, each communication will feature one of our Membership Advantage Programs, which can save you thousands of dollars each year.
This month's program is brought to you thanks to the generosity of our featured associate member, Oatey. Here's what's coming up in this month's program.
- Annual National Conference: Reaching Your Peak Performance! – Join the hundreds of MCA Canada members who have already registered for the 2018 Annual National Conference in Whistler, British Columbia, from Sept. 19 to Sept. 22. Our venue of choice is the incredible Westin Whistler Resort and Spa nestled in the Coastal Mountains. While attending our conference and learning from the wide variety of speakers we have booked, you'll also enjoy unlimited outdoor adventure, fine dining, nightlife, shopping, golf and exciting social events. Don't delay. Register today! And please remember to book your hotel room at just $209 per night.
- Construction Education Council Estimating Conference – Acquiring projects requires more than a good estimate. Register now for this one-of-a kind conference in Toronto at the Mechanical Contractors Association of Toronto classroom from Oct. 17 to Oct. 19. This is a unique conference focusing not on how to estimate, but rather project procurement and strategies. Sessions covered will include deal breakers, project risk and go/no-go strategies, putting together a proposal, and what a general contractor looks for in its selection process, to name a few. The conference is led by Jack Wilhelmi and Tim Wentz from MCA America with a special session held by Dan Leduc from Norton Rose Fulbright.
- Membership Advantage Program: Commercial Credit Adjusters Ltd. – Commercial Credit Adjusters Ltd. is the preferred supplier of debt collection and receivable management solutions to MCA Canada members. CCA is one of Canada’s most respected suppliers of debt collection services and is licensed and bonded in all provinces and territories in Canada. MCAC members will receive preferred pricing on the full suite of receivable management tools to help mitigate bad debt write-offs.
- This month's program brought to you by Oatey – Since 1916, Oatey has provided reliable, high-quality products for the residential and commercial plumbing industries. Today, Oatey operates a comprehensive manufacturing and distribution network to supply more than 6,000 products for professional builders, contractors, engineers and do-it-yourself consumers around the world. The company has continued to meet customer needs for more than a century by offering innovative plumbing solutions that deliver results the first time. Its solutions are now being enjoyed by thousands of users – all from within the construction industry – to improve efficiency and drive revenue.
CEC's annual fundraising golf tournament is today. Without the support of our sponsors, this event would not be the success that it is.
- Gold sponsors: Bradford White, MCA Ontario, UA Canada and Victaulic
- Silver sponsors: Masco
- Dinner: Ontario Pipe Trades Council
- Golf carts: Ontario General Contractors Association
- Beverage carts: DMS Industrial
- Hole in one: Federated Insurance
- Pin flags: Dobbin/Chicago Fawcett
- Green contest: IPEX
- Wine raffle: United Rentals
- Water and cup inserts: OS&B
- Golf balls: DMS Industrial and Wolseley
- Tees: Bibby St. Croix
- Beat the Broker contest: AON
- Trophies: Sportvision
- Closest to the pin contests: Allpriser and MSCC
- Longest drive contests: TACO, Noble and MCAC
- Hole sponsors: MCA Toronto, MCA Kitchener-Waterloo, Kilmer Environmental, TACO Comfort Solutions, Anvil, Watts and Lyncar.
Thank you also to all those that supplied door prizes and silent auction items!
BuildForce is pleased to present its 2017–2018 annual report, Coming Together for the Future.
The federal government is providing up to $2 billion in funding and support for workers in Canada's steel, aluminum and manufacturing sectors.
CEC is pleased to announce that it will once again offer the highly acclaimed Estimating Conference Oct. 17-19 in Toronto. This conference focuses not on how to estimate but rather on project procurement and strategies. Sessions covered will include deal breakers, project risk and go/no-go strategies, putting together a proposal, and what a general contractor looks for in its selection process — to name a few. Jack Wilhelmi and Tim Wentz from MCA America will lead the conference; Dan Leduc from Norton Rose Fulbright will deliver a special session of his own. Registration is limited to just 30 people, so register today!
More than 1,000 students have completed the 10-day PM CEC/University of Waterloo course since its inception in 2000. This latest session is sure to be another sellout. If you have a new hire or someone looking to upgrade or refresh their PM skills, this is the course for them! As a bonus, the program is Gold Seal-accredited for those who wish to pursue their certification.
As with all courses, be sure to look into the Canada Job Grant for funding assistance.
Applicants must be enrolled in a full-time post-secondary program leading to a degree, certificate or diploma from an accredited Canadian university or college. Significant preference will be given to those in educational programs related to the construction industry and, in particular, the mechanical field. The scholarship fund will be awarded to a member of an MCA Student Chapter or to a dependent of a full-time employee of a mechanical contracting firm.
Thank you to MASCO-Delta for sponsoring a $1,500 scholarship.
Click below for the latest prompt payment in the construction industry payment tables.
The unemployment rate moved up last month despite the addition of new jobs because nearly 76,000 more people entered the workforce.
1533: Henry VIII, who divorced his wife and became head of the Church of England, was excommunicated from the Catholic Church by Pope Clement VII.
1798: The U.S. Marine Corps was formally re-established. The Marines were first commissioned by the Continental Congress on Nov. 10, 1775.
1804: The United States' first secretary of the treasury, Alexander Hamilton, was killed by Vice President Aaron Burr in a duel.
1914: Babe Ruth debuted in the major leagues with the Boston Red Sox.
1934: The first appointments to the newly created Federal Communications Commission were made.
1934: U.S. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt became the first American chief executive to travel through the Panama Canal while in office.
1977: The Medal of Freedom was awarded posthumously to Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. in a White House ceremony.
1985: Nolan Ryan became the first major league pitcher to earn 4,000 strikeouts in a career.
1987: Bo Jackson signed a contract to play football for the L.A. Raiders for five years. He also continued to play baseball for the Kansas City Royals.
1995: Full diplomatic relations were established between the United States and Vietnam.
2008: Apple released the iPhone 3G.
- September 7–9: MCA Toronto Conference & AGM, Muskoka, ON
- September 19–22: MCA Canada Annual National Conference, Whistler, BC