MCA Canada's 77th Annual National Conference is a little more than two months away! This year, we are looking forward to enjoying the splendour of Canada's west coast. Our chosen venue is the remarkable Westin Whistler Resort and Spa, in Whistler, British Columbia. This year's program will, of course, feature an impressive line up of speakers and plenty of valuable information sessions. In between conference programming, you'll enjoy fine dining, a vibrant nightlife, top-notch shopping and some of the world’s greatest outdoor adventures. ‘Reaching Your Peak Performance’ in Whistler, BC. Watch for registration information soon and plan to join us from September 19 to 22.
The MCAC Member Multimedia Information Program delivers timely and valuable information to our entire membership via email (Just The Fax), the internet (www.mcac.ca) and direct mail. The program’s goal is to provide every MCA member with regular information on upcoming events, programs and projects. In addition, each communication will feature one of our Membership Advantage Programs, which can save you thousands of dollars each year.
This month's program is brought to you thanks to the generosity of our featured associate member, IPEX. Here's what's coming up in this month's program.
- MCA Canada launches new app – MCA Canada is proud to announce the launch of our all new, free app for members. On your phone, anytime and anywhere, you can use it to access information on educational programs, member discount programs, conference information, events and much more. To download, search MCACanada (no spaces) in the App Store (iPhone) or Google Play Store (Android). Then simply install the app. Put all the resources of MCA Canada at your fingertips. If you want to find out more contact the MCA Canada office via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 613-232-0492.
- CEC launches new scholarship program – The Construction Education Council (CEC) is very pleased to announce that it has partnered with a number of MCA Canada associate members to offer over $20,000 in new scholarship money. Scholarships will be awarded to university, college, and apprentice students. As part of MCA Canada’s new “Women in Mechanical Construction” initiative, there will also be a specific scholarship for women studying in the mechanical field.
- CEC Legal Webinar Series: Love My Tender, Love Me True – As part of the CEC legal webinar series, Dan Leduc of Norton Rose Fulbright will present a free webinar to MCA Canada members on tender law. Since 2010, contractor legal rights regarding tenders have limited, yet the sense that bid shopping and other unseemly experiences has not been reduced… this seminar will review what legal rights you, as a subcontractor, might still have.
- Register now for CEC’s 14th Annual Fundraising Golf Tournament – On July 11, the Construction Education Council of MCA Canada will be hosting yet another fun-filled golf tournament at the Royal Ontario Golf Club in Hornby, Ontario.
- New Membership Advantage Program: MCA Canada partners with Shell! Join now and save 5₵ per litre! – The Shell Fleet Navigator Card is a pre-approved MasterCard that gives you savings on fuel, car washes and more! Use it at over 1,300 Shell stations, as well as any other service station or maintenance location where MasterCard is accepted. Save 5¢ off each litre of fuel purchased at Shell stations until September 30th and 3¢ per litre ongoing thereafter. Get 500 AIR MILES when you make your first purchase by October 15, 2018. Up to 30 percent off car washes at participating Shell locations. Ten percent discount on Jiffy Lube products and services, including oil changes on purchases over $100. Access to discounted 24/7 roadside assistance. Take advantage of this extraordinary discount by contacting MCA Canada at email@example.com, visit www.mcac.ca or call 613-232-0492. Please note MCA Canada is no longer partnered with PetroCanada.
- This month's program brought to you by IPEX – IPEX Inc. designs and manufactures one of the world’s most diverse lines of integrated thermoplastic piping systems - pipe, valves, and fittings – all engineered from the ground up to handle the full range of today’s mechanical, industrial and municipal applications. With more than 50 years of experience in thermoplastics combined with progressive manufacturing technologies, efficient distribution centres and coast-to-coast customer support has made the IPEX name synonymous with quality, innovation and performance. One supplier to stand behind you and your complete piping system. For more information please visit www.ipexinc.com or call 1-866-473-9462.
MCA Canada recently launched a new app. It’s free for all members. Use it to access information on educational programs, member discount programs, to find suppliers, events and much more. To download, search MCACanada (no spaces) in the App Store (iPhone) or Google Play Store (Android). Then simply install the app. To access the Membership Advantage Programs, you will need a username and password—but only the first time you log in.
The username is: Your email address
The password is: mcac2017 (lowercase, no spaces).
You will also need to allow notifications in your settings. If you cannot log in, we may have to add or edit your email address in our database. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 613-232-0492 if you have any issues logging in to the Membership Advantage Programs.
The Mechanical Service Contractors of Canada (MSCC) is proud to welcome Arpi’s Industries Ltd from Calgary, AB to the growing list of MSCC 'Gold Standard' contractors. This designation signifies your organization as an elite-level contractor in Canada. It verifies your company implements industry leading, best-business practices in specific key competencies including technical excellence, safety, training, documentation, security, customer service and business acumen. Congratulations to the entire team at Arpi’s Industries Ltd! Visit the MSCC website to learn more about how your company can become an MSCC Gold Standard Contractor.
The Mechanical Service Contractors of Canada has launched a new logo. The design features a new colouring, font and layout. The update is part of an ongoing evolution of our brand. For more information, visit www.servicecontractor.ca.
As cultivators and consumers await the legalization of recreational marijuana in Canada late summer 2018, opportunities grow for HVAC contractors. In March 2018, there were 97 licensed medical cannabis facilities nationally, more than double the number in March 2017. As more grow operations come online, a high yield of cannabis will be essential – and, like any crop, environmental control is key. Enter the HVAC contractor.
Click below for the latest Prompt Payment in the Construction Industry payment tables.
The Trudeau government recently announced that Pierre Lavallee, a former senior executive of the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB), will be the first CEO of the Canada Infrastructure Bank. The bank is a key component of the Liberal government’s long-term economic growth strategy with a mandate to use at least $35 billion in public funds to attract four to five times as much private capital to build revenue-generating public infrastructure projects such as pipelines, electricity grids and transit.
Are you signed up to play in CEC's Golf Tournament? If not, what are you waiting for? Registration is open for the annual fundraiser, and it's always a great time. Play this year is at the Royal Ontario Golf Club in Milton, Ontario on July 11. As always, all proceeds from the event go to support CEC’s ability to provide the mechanical contracting industry with innovative education programming. Learn more at CEC's website, or by contacting Tania Johnston at 613-232-5169 or email@example.com.
The Construction Education Council (CEC) is pleased to announce that it has partnered with a number of MCA Canada associate members to offer over $20,000 in new scholarship money. Scholarships will be awarded to university, college and apprentice students. As part of MCA Canada’s new Women in Mechanical Construction initiative, there will also be a specific scholarship for women studying in the mechanical field.
As part of the CEC legal webinar series, Dan Leduc of Norton Rose Fulbright will present a free webinar to MCA Canada members on tender law. Since 2010, contractor legal rights regarding tenders have limited, yet the sense is that bid shopping and other unseemly experiences have not been reduced. This seminar will review what legal rights you, as a subcontractor, might still have.
Date: June 21
Time: 12:00 p.m. Eastern
Cost: Free to all MCAC members
To register, visit www.constructioneducation.ca.
Silicon Valley-based startup OpenSpace launched this week a product that it claims will dramatically cut the time it takes contractors to photograph a jobsite and share progress with key project stakeholders. Users simply mount a consumer 360-degree camera on a hardhat, press record, and walk through a construction site. Within a day, OpenSpace artificial intelligence stitches the video footage into a 360-degree panoramic map similar to Google Street View.
Intellinium, a French company, has developed a “smart & connected safety shoe,” which can be used to alert workers of hazardous conditions or allow the worker wearing the boot to send for help, all with the tap of a toe. Alerts and messages are sent by the boot wearer using a derivative of MORSE code or through the use of a smartphone app.
Statistics Canada says the country’s merchandise trade deficit contracted in April as exports rose to a record and imports moved lower. The agency says the deficit amounted to $1.9 billion compared with a deficit of $3.9 billion in March.
1631: Charles I agrees to return Quebec and Port Royal to the French.
1758: James Wolfe's attack at Louisbourg, Nova Scotia commences.
1817: The earliest form of bicycle, the dandy horse, is driven by Karl von Drais.
1901: City of Montréal passes by-law making indoor toilets compulsory.
1908: Creation of Saskatchewan Government Telephones; today's Sasktel.
1939: The Baseball Hall of Fame opens in Cooperstown, New York.
1951: Northwest Territories women win the right to vote and stand for office.
1964: Anti-apartheid activist and ANC leader Nelson Mandela is sentenced to life in prison for sabotage in South Africa.
1967: The United States Supreme Court declares all U.S. state laws which prohibit interracial marriage to be unconstitutional.
1991: Russians first democratically elected President, Boris Yeltsin.
1994: Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman are murdered outside Simpson's home in Los Angeles.
MCA Canada is pleased to once again offer all our associate members a complimentary company profile in the annual review edition of our National Bulletin. Please send your profile, limit of 250 words, to our editor James Raiswell by close of business June 15. If you would like to re-use last year's profile please simply indicate “Use last year’s profile <your company name>.” Logos may also be included. Please send your logo as a separate, high-resolution file in PDF, JPG or EPS format. We hope that you will take advantage of this marketing opportunity as it's only available once a year! If you have any questions, please contact Daryl Sharkey directly.
- June 17–19: CIPH Annual Business Conference, Whistler, BC
- June 21–22: MCA Eastern Regional Meetings, Moncton, NB
- July 11: CEC Annual Golf Tournament Fundraiser, Milton, ON
- September 7–9: MCA Toronto Conference & AGM, Muskoka, ON
- September 19–22: MCA Canada Annual National Conference, Whistler, BC