Waves of Discovery – Join us for our 76th National Conference, November 6 to 9 at the wonderful Sheraton Maui Resort and Spa in Maui, Hawaii. The Sheraton Maui is located on 23 oceanfront acres on legendary Ka’anapali Beach. This year’s conference will feature exceptional educational content, amazing featured speakers and spectacular social events. A couple of new additions are general sessions for all delegates with interesting guest speakers and a new reception and tradeshow. We look forward to seeing you. Register early to save money. Aloha!
Hotel rooms are going fast, so book your room today. Just imagine yourself in Hawaii waking up in one of the 500 rooms and looking out the window at paradise. Have your meals in one of the four onsite restaurants, drinks at one of three bars/lounges or stay cool in one of the two poolside bars. Be sure to reserve your room with the Sheraton Maui Resort and Spa for the preferred conference rate of $239/night. This special rate is available to conference attendees only and reservations can be made from the MCAC website.
Time is running out to sponsor MCA Canada's 76th Annual National Conference. Already, many of your fellow members have come forward with their support of this event. If your firm would like to also sponsor the event, don't delay. Sponsorship opportunities are running out. Learn more in the ‘Events’ section of our website.
The MCAC Member Multimedia Information Program delivers timely and valuable information to our entire membership via email (Just The Fax), the internet (www.mcac.ca) and direct mail. The program’s goal is to provide every MCA member with regular information on upcoming events, programs and projects. In addition, each communication will feature one of our Membership Advantage Programs, which can save you thousands of dollars each year.
This month's program is brought to you thanks to the generosity of our featured associate member, MASCO.
- MCA Canada’s 76th Annual National Conference: room block nearly sold! – The MCA Canada 2017 Conference Planning Guide was mailed to all member companies, and we received a great response with an abundance of conference registrations and resort reservations. If you have not yet made your reservations with the Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa, act now! The hotel is more than 80 percent booked. Also, be sure to register for the conference at www.mcac.ca.
- Membership Advantage Program: Chrysler Canada – Members enjoy significant discounts on Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge trucks, SUVs, minivans and passenger vehicles through Chrysler Canada’s large-account fleet discount program. Save thousands! Simply talk with your local dealership to determine the vehicles you require, then contact the MCA Canada office to access your Fleet Account Number and receive a letter confirming your membership in the association. For more details, contact the MCA Canada office or visit www.mcac.ca.
- This month's program brought to you by MASCO – Representing companies and brands that have over 100 years of experience in the Canadian marketplace, Masco Canada brings relevant, smart solutions for plumbing-related goods to their consumers and business partners. Responsible for manufacturing, product management, product development, sales and marketing, they meet the needs of our uniquely Canadian marketplace. To find out more, visit www.mascocanada.com.
The lifeblood of every construction contractor is project procurement. The process presented at the Construction Education Council's highly acclaimed Estimating Conference is identical for all types of projects, plan and specification, design build, design assist, time and material, and guaranteed maximum price. This process is similar for all sizes and types of projects from a power plant to a one-hour service call. CEC's Estimating Conference presents a repeatable process that has been used successfully by a major mechanical contractor. Project procurement should not be a custom creation each time but one that is repetitive, improves with each cycle and provides consistency. Hands on experiences will also be provided.
On August 31, the Coalition for Small Business Tax Fairness, of which MCA Canada is a member, issued a letter and a media release to Finance Minister Bill Morneau in response to the federal government's proposed changes to tax legislation. The coalition argues the proposals would "dramatically change the way incorporated small businesses are taxed in Canada."
Don’t forget that MCA Canada provides free and ongoing listings for any job requirements you may have on the Careers page of our website. Please provide your requirements and contact information in either word or PDF format and send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Finance Minister Bill Morneau has proposed a three-pronged tax attack that will significantly impact small business owners' financial planning, and Liberal backbenchers have been getting an earful.
Sprinkler fitter apprentice Chris Pierog of United Association (U.A.) Local 853 Sprinkler Fitters Ontario recently won the U.A. International Apprentice Competition held in Ann Arbor, Mich.
A major effort is underway to collect the most detailed data yet on the state of the country's roads, bridges, water pipes and transit systems. Statistics Canada quietly launched a national survey late last month to get an unprecedented level of granular detail on the state of infrastructure at the provincial and municipal level.
Shayne La Combre, chair of the World Plumbing Council, outlines the council's Four Pillars of Plumbing initiative that aims to share knowledge among the world's various plumbing industries.
The transition to a zero-carbon economy will generate millions of jobs in the building sector in the next 30 years, suggests a recent report commissioned by Canada's Building Trades Unions.
1492: Christopher Columbus sails from La Gomera in the Canary Islands, his final port of call before crossing the Atlantic Ocean for the first time.
1522: The Victoria, the only surviving ship of Ferdinand Magellan's expedition, returns to Spain, becoming the first ship to circumnavigate the world.
1620: The Pilgrims sail from Plymouth, England, on the Mayflower to settle in North America.
1775: George Washington asks Canadians to Join the American War of Independence.
1803: British scientist John Dalton begins using symbols to represent the atoms of different elements.
1864: At the Charlottetown Conference, the first order of business is the taking of the official photograph of the Fathers of Confederation.
1870: Louisa Ann Swain of Laramie, Wyoming becomes the first woman in the United States to cast a vote legally after 1807.
1897: Founding of the Regina Roughrider football club; today's Saskatchewan Roughriders.
1901: Leon Czolgosz, an unemployed anarchist, shoots and kills US President William McKinley in Buffalo, New York.
1913: Hamilton Alerts apply for ORFU reinstatement under a new name, the Hamilton Rowing Club; forerunner of CFL Hamilton Tiger Cats.
1916: The first self-service grocery store, Piggly Wiggly, was opened in Memphis, Tennessee, by Clarence Saunders.
1949: Allied military authorities relinquish control of former Nazi Germany assets back to German control.
1952: First Canadian TV begins as Radio-Canada's CBFT-TV in Montréal starts regular broadcasting.
1957: Paul Anka's hit single Diana reaches #1 on the Billboard pop chart.
1972: Nine Israeli athletes taken hostage and die at the Munich Olympic Games by the Palestinian "Black September" terrorist group.
1972: Canada-USSR Summit Series - Team Canada 4 - USSR 4 in the Game 3 of the Summit Series.
1995: Cal Ripken, Jr. of the Baltimore Orioles plays in his 2,131st consecutive game, breaking a record that had stood for 56 years.
1996: Northwest Territories residents vote to keep that name for the western part of territory after the eastern part becomes the territory of Nunavut.
1997: The Funeral of Diana, Princess of Wales takes place in London. Well over one million people lined the streets, and 2.5 billion watched around the world on television.
The Mechanical Service Contractors of Canada (MSCC) would like to remind all associate members that you can send us links to your educational and service videos. These videos will be posted on our website so that onsite personnel can easily find the proper solutions to your products. Please email your video links to email@example.com.
A program packed with distinguished/high level speakers, focusing on disruptive issues. Presenters will help us see how construction, Canada's largest industry, can realize its full potential.
- September 14: Modern Hydronics Summit 2017, Mississauga, ON
- September 21: CIPHEX Roadshow, St. John’s, NL
- September 27-29: Women in HVACR 14th Annual Conference, Fort Worth, TX
- September 29: CANS 155th AGM, St. Andrew's By-The-Sea, NB
- September 29-October 1: MCA Toronto AGM, Collingwood, ON
- October 2-4: CCA Meetings, Niagara Falls, ON
- October 11-13: CEC Estimating Conference, Halifax, NS
- October 15-18: MSCA Educational Conference, Boca Raton, Florida
- October 17: CIPHEX Roadshow, Edmonton, AB
- October 19: CIPHEX Roadshow, Regina, SK
- November 6-9: MCA Canada’s 76th National Conference, Maui, Hawaii
As you know, Operation Eyesight is MCA Canada's Charity of Choice. The organization does important work across the developing world to provide people in need with the basics of life: access to clean water and sanitation. Their work has improved, and even saved, the lives of countless people in these regions. MCA Canada is always accepting donations to this important cause from its members, but did you know that you can donate more than just cash? Here are five more ways you can show your support: