Construction Contracts and Law with Christine Fortenberry
Protect your business against legal problems with well-written contracts!
Many construction or remodeling companies are too small to hire full-time legal staff so it's important to understand basic contract law. This course provides a step-by-step explanation of how contracts sustain positive customer and supplier relations, provide for resolution of disputes, and minimize the risk of litigation. You will learn about mandatory and optional provisions, warranties and arbitration procedures. Special emphasis is given to troubleshooting contracts for unfavorable positions. As a graduate of this course, you will be able to:
- Define the guiding principles of contract interpretation
- Define and distinguish between the different elements of a sales agreement
- Identify the risks of building on the customer’s lot
- Recognize the differences between construction contracts and sales agreements
- Recognize the importance of a mechanic’s lien contract
- Identify some of the risks associated with modifying an existing structure
- Identify the rights and responsibilities of Contractor and Owner during construction
- Identify differences between remodeling and other residential construction contracts
- Understand the importance of identifying independent standards for construction
- Be aware of special causes and explain when to use each one (conduit, paid if paid, and dragnet clauses)
- Recognize the advantages and disadvantages to: negotiation, mediation, arbitration and litigation
Christine Fortenberry will facilitate this session. She is a graduate of Georgia Tech, has been building, developing and remodeling for over 40 years. She is a guest lecturer for the Georgia Tech School of Architecture and other organizations on the subjects of Universal Design and Aging-in-Place and is an instructor for NAHB.
NO WALK IN REGISTRATIONS WILL BE ALLOWED. PLEASE PRE-REGISTER!
Cost: $200 Greater Atlanta HBA Member, $220 Other HBA Member, $250 Non-member
Designation: CGA, CGB, CGR
Cont. Ed: 6 CPHB, 6 GA Bldr License, CAPS, CGA, CGB, CGR, GMB, CSP, MCSP, CMP, MIRM
Call 678-775-1469 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Interested in sponsoring this class? Contact Amanda Mathis at 678-775-1469 for details.