CPA pre-budget submission to House of Commons Finance Committee
On October 8, the CPA filed its recommendations for the upcoming federal budget with the House of Commons Finance Committee. They include:
- Making legislative change to Part IX of the Excise Tax Act which would make HST and GST zero-rated for residential energy. This would ensure that residential energy receives the same tax treatment as essential items such as basic groceries as well as agriculture and fish products.
- Supporting Indigenous communities by funding the conversion of residential, public and commercial buildings in these areas from diesel/heating oil to propane.
- Changing the Greenhouse Gas Pollution Pricing Act (GGPPA) to ensure that propane receives the same carbon tax exemptions as gasoline and diesel in agricultural.
- Making tax credits available for converting fleets from gasoline to propane. This would yield a 26% reduction in GHGs compared to gasoline.
- Supporting the propane industry’s pathway to renewable propane in Canada.
The CPA will be reaching out to individual committee members as well as government officials to discuss the recommendations.