CPA Public Affairs
TwitterLinkedIn

BC: The Clean BC Plan

Print Print this Article | Send to Colleague

The B.C. government says its Clean BC Plan is designed to shift homes, vehicles, industry and businesses in British Columbia away from a reliance on fossil fuels to a low-carbon economy featuring electricity and renewable energy. It also says its plan will boost energy efficiency solutions like zero-emission vehicles and home heat pumps, making them more affordable and available for British Columbians.
 
However, the Clean BC Plan is silent on propane. There are opportunities that could be open to propane, such as the reduction of diesel in Northern B.C. and the proposed Vancouver Fraser Port Authority clean trucking pilot project designed to reduce emissions on short distance hauling. The industry could also be an early adopter of the 95% organic waste diversion, the 75% landfill gas usage, and the B.C. Bioenergy Strategy by building out the bioenergy and biofuels cluster to develop Canadian bio-propane capacity. 
 
Key elements in the CleanBC Plan include:
  • Requiring all new cars sold in B.C. by 2040 be zero-emission vehicles (ZEV).
  • Offering government subsidies on new ZEVs, introducing fuel incentives and building a larger charging station network.
  • Increasing the low carbon fuel standard by 20% for 2030 and increasing the production of renewable transportation fuels.
  • Mandating that all new buildings constructed in B.C. be zero-energy ready by 2032 through changes to the BC Building Codes.
  • Making natural gas consumption cleaner by putting in a minimum requirement for 15% renewable gas.
  • Reducing remote communities’ dependence on diesel for heat.
  • Supporting public infrastructure efficiency upgrades and switching to biofuels with the Clean BC Communities Fund.
  • Funding renovations and energy retrofits of homes and offices.
  • Spending $400 Million to retrofit and upgrade publicly funded housing.
  • Helping industry lower emissions and reduce pollution.
  • Reducing methane emissions from oil and gas operations by 45%.
  • Providing clean electricity to planned natural gas production in the Peace Region.
  • Increasing access to electricity for large operations with new transmission lines.
  • Helping communities achieve 95% organic waste diversion for agricultural, industrial, and municipal waste, including systems to capture 75% of landfill gas turning it to a clean resource.
  • Renewing the B.C. Bioenergy strategy and build out the bioenergy and biofuels cluster.
 The Clean BC Plan is intended as an action plan to meet the targets set by the Climate Change Accountability Act. The government says the plan will reduce GHG emissions by 18.9Mt or 75% of its 2030 target. The remaining 25% required to meet the 2030 GHG reduction target will be announced through initiatives over the next 18-24 months.
 
The carbon tax is said to be the sole source of funds for the Clean BC Plan and the government will increase its carbon tax by $5/tonne next year to support it. The CPA anticipates there will be additional increases in the carbon tax to fund the massive investment required by the Clean BC Plan if it is to be the sole source of funds.
 
The B.C. government believes its plan will make B.C. a destination for new investment by striving to meet the growing global demand for low-carbon products, services and pollution reducing technology.
 

Back to CPA Public Affairs

Share Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on LinkedIn