ON: CPA responds to Cap and Trade Cancellation Act
On October 15, CPA Board Chair Dan Kelly and CPA President & CEO Nathalie St-Pierre presented the propane industry’s recommendations on Bill 4, Cap and Trade Cancellation Act, 2018 to the Ontario Standing Committee on General Government.
The CPA submission highlighted repercussions that the cancellation of the Cap and Trade Program has had on CPA members and proposed recommendations for consideration by the Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks. CPA recommendations included:
- Full inclusion and participation of the propane industry in the development of the new climate change plan and environmental policies.
- Fair and adequate compensation of the propane industry in respect of the cap and trade instruments.
- Targets be based on actual CO2 emissions, based on current Canadian data to support policy decision or programs.
- A predictable and minimal administrative burden mechanism to set and monitor targets.
- Appoint the CPA to the advisory panel to provide a market-based perspective on policy development.