family spans six continents across people of all ages, genders, races and walks
of life. It is our
work—our passion for the CMP—that brings us together under one common goal: to
host events and meetings that are of the highest caliber.
Events Industry Council, our global organisational footprint is propelled by
technology through social media and virtual platforms allowing us to reach more
people than ever.
By Miguel Neves, CMP, DES
Increasing an event’s global attendance is a challenge.
While the idea of attracting a global audience may only seem within the reach
of large international events, this may not be the case at all. Even a small
scale regional event has the potential to resonate across the globe.
In the traditional sense, global attendance means that
people travel from all around the world to attend the event; the ideal
situation, but not always realistic. Today, event attendance can take many
shapes, provided an event is set up in a way that enables remote attendance and
the content has the potential to include and affect people globally.
Industry Council for an important webinar addressing what CMPs can expect when
it's time to renew their certification.
Hinman, Events Industry Council’s Certification Coordinator, for a webinar to
review the full CMP renewal process on 19
April 2019 at 1:00 pm EST/UTC-6. In addition to a brief review of the
eligibility requirements, this webinar will focus on the renewal application
itself, from validating your experience to submitting industry support activity
and self-reporting any remaining continuing education.
will also include time for questions from the audience at the end of the
presentation. The webinar is eligible for 1.00 CE. A recorded version will be
available approximately two weeks after the live presentation.
Global Meetings Industry Day is Thursday, 4 April 2019, and the Events Industry Council wants to help you celebrate! This is a day to raise awareness about the work meeting and event planners do, and to show appreciation for the industry’s global impact.
On 4 April, use the hashtag #GMID19 and #CMPProud to share what you do as a meetings professional. Also, update your profile picture to include our custom Global Meetings Industry Day photo frame
Finally, make sure to follow us on Instagram where our staff will be doing GMID takeover. See what we do behind the scenes to support the events community around the world.
Industry Council, in collaboration with the International Association of
Exhibitions and Events, and the Society of Independent Show Organizers, is
analysing current trends related to deceptive practices, consumer fraud and
scams affecting the events industry, specifically focusing on attendance list
scams and room block poaching and piracy.
For our 2019
research focus, we are also introducing an in-depth analysis on unauthorised
offers to sell event attendance lists, often referred to as "attendance
completion time is 7-10 minutes. Thank you in advance for taking the time to
complete the survey by Wednesday, 17 April at 5:00 pm EST/UTC-5.
In partnership with Sustainable Brands, the Events Industry Council will host an informative and action-driven Sustainable Event Professionals Certificate (SEPC) Course at SB’19 Detroit from 2–5 June 2019. Combining active learning and experiential elements, this programme is designed to enable participants to implement their own sustainable events. Topics will include:
- Understanding the business value of sustainability for the events industry
- Practical solutions for improving environmental performance in food and beverage, transportation and supply chain management
- Effective methods for achieving corporate social responsibility goals
Registration: $595 USD
A limited number of scholarships, hotel and travel subsidies are available for qualified planners. Contact Jennifer Miller for more information.
Dates: Sunday, 2 June—Wednesday, 5 June 2019
Location: Cobo Center, 1 Washington Boulevard, Detroit, MI 48226
Partner hotels: Book your hotel room within the Sustainable Brands hotel block to take advantage of pre-negotiated rates.
Beth Surmont, CMP, CAE, was featured in an article celebrating International Women’s Day. Surmont is the director of experience design for 360 Live Media, part of the SmithBucklin company. She and several of her coworkers were asked to share their secrets in a Meetings Today article
Krugman, CMP, CMM, M. Ed, recently spoke with PCMA about how she started her
own business. Krugman, who was inducted into the Events Industry Council’s Hall
of Leaders in 2017, said starting her own business was a scary but rewarding
the right combination of other skills, a lot of energy, irrepressible chutzpah,
and the good fortune to meet, work, learn from and partner with extraordinary
professionals all over the world, I ended up in the industry," she told PCMA.
"The rest, as they say, is history!"
Several women were honored earlier this month with awards from Smart Women in Meetings in several different categories.
- 2019 Visionary Award: Sandy Biback, CMP Emeritus; Claire Smith, CMP; and Nancy Zavada, CMP
- 2019 Innovator Award: Ashely King, CMP, and Jennifer Dela-Cruz, CMP
- 2019 Rising Star Award: Candace Wilborn, CMP; Carrie Yeiser, CMP; and Deanna Zercher, CMP.
- 2019 Entrepreneur Award: Kelsey Anderson, CMP, CMM; Liz Lathan, CMP; and Shelli Vasser Gilliam, CMP
- 2019 Industry Leader Award: Deirdre L. Clemmons, CMP; Carolyn Pund, CMP, CMM; and Erin Scholes, CMP, CSEP, CMM
- 2019 Stellar Performer Award: Kristi Casale, CMP, DMCP; Bethany Blue Chirico, CMP; Michelle Crosby, CMP, DMCP; Nancy Foy, CMP; Amy Lippincott, CMP, CGMP, HMCC; and Julie T. Sibthorp, CMP
- 2019 Hall of Fame Inductees: Carrie Abernathy, CMP, CEM, CSEP; Polly Grieger-Rossi, CMP-HC, CMM, HMCC; and Christly Lamagna, CMP, CMM, CTSM
See a full
list of winners on Smart
PCMA announced its list of finalists for the visionary awards, as well as the three Lifetime Achievement honourees.
All three Lifetime Achievement honourees are CMPs. Chris Wehking, CMP, of the American Society of Anesthesiologists; Eduardo Chaillo, CMP, CMM, CASE, of the Global Meetings & Tourism Specialists; and Lauren Kramer, CMP, CAE, MTA, of Meeting Priorities, LLC., will receive their lifetime achievement awards at PCMA’s Visionary Award’s reception on 7 May.
Other finalists include:
- Business Strategist of the Year: Heather M. Seashotlz, CMP
- Community Advocate of the Year: Jennifer Bond, CMP, CMM, and Christine Faiman, CMP
- Event Designer of the Year: Sally Ann DeBolt, CMP, and Diane E. Kovats, CMP, CAE
- Digital Experience Strategist of the Year: Janet Cooper, CMP, and Roberta Odebrecht, CMP, DES
- Outstanding Service to a Chapter: Debra Maines, CMP-HC; Meagan Prescott, CMP; and Elisa Sandoval Wong, CMP, HMCC
Kirby, CMP, was recently named the marketing director for Schneiderman &
Sherman, a Michigan-based law firm.
Kirby served as director of marketing for Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices
Michigan, Michigan’s second largest real estate brokerage. According to an
article on DS News, she plans on using traditional and digital marketing
strategies, as well as supporting philanthropic initiatives.
Have you been quoted in an article? Do you have some exciting news to share?
Contact us at email@example.com and we can share it with the leading individuals and companies involved in the events industry!