Prince Edward Island: Bill 13, the Water Act.
The Water Act was proclaimed in February 2021 for implementation on June 16, 2021. Four regulations needed initially to implement the Act were published on February 22, 2021. They comprise:
- the Proposed Water Withdrawal Regulation;
- the Proposed Well Construction Regulations
- the Proposed Water Supply, the Wastewater Treatment Systems Regulations;and
- the Sewage Disposal Systems Regulations.
Under these regulations all water wells drawing above the level of domestic household consumption will require a permit. Under the changes:
- the government’s water withdrawal policy for healthy stream flow and aquatic environments is included defining acceptable levels needed to allow or prohibit extraction;
- the minister can require a drought contingency plan for selected, large water withdrawal programs;
- a provision is made for the construction of high capacity wells for research purposes; and,
- a provision is made to grandfather existing clusters of low capacity wells used for agricultural irrigation (e.g. holding ponds); however, no new clusters that have the same impact as a high-capacity well will be permitted.
The regulations continue to be available online for public comment at: