Dear BOMA New York Members,
As we conclude 2019 and enter the Holiday Season, I would like to thank you for playing an active role with BOMA New York and for your dedication to the thousands of commercial buildings in the greatest city in the world. BOMA New York had a phenomenal year. We grew our membership, attracted thought leaders to our events and collaborated with the public sector to ensure the success of the commercial real estate industry. The following are a few noteworthy highlights from 2019.
- In February, we had a record turnout for the Pinnacle Awards. We welcomed 869 attendees and published the largest sponsorship and guidebook ever! We hope to see you again this coming February 27th at Chelsea Piers.
- The Pinnacles were followed by two International TOBY Awards:
- The Hearst Tower won the Best Corporate Facility; owned by the Hearst Corporation and managed by Tishman Speyer.
- 280 Park Avenue won Best Renovated Building; owned by Vornado Realty Trust and SL Green, managed by CBRE.
- For the first time in a few years, we are experiencing an increase with principal and associate members.
- We updated the Bylaws to have a clear succession plan and allow more Allied Members to join, thereby eliminating the 10-year waiting list.
- We currently have 36 Emerging Leader Members, an increase of 11 Members from last year. We will continue to identify ideal programs to help our Emerging Leaders bolster their careers.
- We hosted 27 courses this year, with 218 students. That’s an increase of 18 courses year-over-year.
- Every Lunch & Learn was sold out including our first ever class catered to brokers and Emerging Leaders on the subject of HVAC Simplified. Lunch & Learn classes were covered and featured in the New York Real Estate Journal.
- After Local Law 97 was passed, we were first to market and hosted a lively discussion with John Lee from the Mayor’s Office to debate the merit of the new law at our annual Energy Action Day.
- At the annual Leadership Breakfast, we had DOB Commissioner Melanie La Rocca share her vision. She is a friend to the industry and our goal is to have a seat at the table with ongoing communications.
As we look forward to 2020, I encourage each of you to get more involved. Attend Seminars; go to Lunch & Learns and join a BOMA New York Committee. For now, I wish everyone Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Happy Holidays.
Hani J. Salama, PE, LEED-AP
Chair & CEO of BOMA New York
In addition to the existing Officers and Board of Directors, we have the following new Directors whose term will begin on January 1, 2020.
Building Security Services of NY
Matthew Mc Avoy
Vornado Realty Trust
Rockhill Management, LLC
Cresa New York
BOMA New York is proud to announce its newest committee – Healthcare Facilities – Chaired by Jay Johnson; Plant Manager of Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. The new committee will attract property managers from New York’s Hospital Row and will strengthen the Association as members share and exchange best practices. For more information about the Healthcare Facilities Committee, please contact Bobbi McGowan at email@example.com.
2019 was a success in large part due to the many partners and corporate sponsorships.
Advantage Building & Facilities Services
Atlas Acon Electric Service Corp.
BOCA Group Int’l Inc.
Boston Properties LP
Cauldwell Wingate Company
Champion Elevator Corp.
Clune Construction Company
Collins Building Services
East Coast Energy Group
Environmental Building Solutions, LLC
Evergreen Mechanical Corp.
Gradiant Services (Global BMU)
Interstate Mechanical Services, Inc.
J. T. Magen & Company Inc.
Jaros Baum & Bolles
JRM Construction Management, LLC
Lafayette Metal and Glass Co.
Rael Maintenance Corp.
SL Green Realty Corp.
Summit Security Services
The 58-64 40th Street Corp., Inc.
The Excel Group
Titan Construction Services LLC
Vornado Office Management
W.H. Christian & Sons, Inc.
For opportunities to showcase your brand and to find out the many benefits of a BOMA New York sponsorship in 2020, please contact Ami Shah at firstname.lastname@example.org.
On November 20th, Mayor Bill de Blasio signed the Commercial Waste Zones (CWZ) bill into law. The legislation stipulates that each zone will be serviced by up to three (3) commercial waste haulers and specifies one (1) City-wide zone for containerized garbage to be handled by up to five (5) haulers. While we applaud the effort, we are also concerned with the possibility of increased pricing and a decrease in the quality of service. See the BOMA New York penned article published in Real Estate Weekly – A Good Idea Where the Potential Side Effects May Outweigh the Intended Benefits.
Separately, the DOB has proposed an Amendment of Rules Governing Exterior Wall Inspections and Repairs. Comments are due by the public hearing scheduled for December 30, 2020. For more information on the proposed rule amendments, CLICK HERE.
As already reported and discussed at numerous BOMA New York events, the New York City Council passed the Climate Mobilization Act on April 18, 2019 – a suite of laws aimed to meet the city’s commitment to achieving carbon neutrality by 2050. For building owners, the new laws mean new requirements for everything from building emissions to roof materials, and while some of the changes go into effect years in the future, others have already begun. The time to become familiar with the Climate Mobilization Act, especially for older buildings, is now. BOMA New York will continue to help members understand the new rules via strategic programming throughout 2020.
The 2020 Calendar is online, developed and continues to mature. Please check it out HERE and check back often for new events in 2020.
The deadline for sponsorship and advertisement opportunities of the upcoming Pinnacle Awards is January 22, 2020. Click Here for More Info.
BOMA New York emailed all members their 2020 Membership Dues renewal invoices. If you have not received yours, please be sure to reach out to Ami Shah at email@example.com. Payment for Membership Dues Invoices are to be received no later than Monday March 2, 2020.
Established in 1988, the BOMA New York Scholarship Program provides financial assistance to students enrolled in BOMI educational programs and to date, BOMA New York has awarded over 200 Scholarships. Scholarships for 2020 were officially awarded at the BOMA New York Holiday Luncheon. Congratulations to the following new recipients:
• Armanda Estrada – Newmark Knight Frank
• Ron D’Amato – SL Green Realty Corp.
• Michael de Lucia – SL Green Realty Corp.
• Itamar Hematian – H & K 833 Associates, LLC
• Ben Losi – RXR Realty
• Anthony Mojica – Winter Properties
• Melissa Reed – CBRE
• Shana Smolinsky – Transwestern
• Kevyn States – EQ Office
The Civic Betterment Award recognizes organizations in New York City who have made major contributions to help make New York City a better place to live, work and play. The award was announced at the BOMA New York Holiday Luncheon and presented to Tuesday’s Children – An organization that provides a lifetime of healing for families who have been forever changed by terrorism, military conflict or mass violence. Tuesday’s Children serves and supports our nation’s military Families of the Fallen; builds resilience and common bonds in communities worldwide recovering from tragedies; and keeps the promise to support all those impacted by Tuesday, September 11th.
The Capital Region Building Owners and Managers Association, located in Albany, New York will host the 2020 Middle Atlantic Conference. Please have a look at the sponsorship opportunities HERE.
The Home Depot offers BOMA members an exclusive annual rebate program. Receive a 2% annual rebate on all qualifying in-store and online pre-tax purchases, plus extra services and savings. There is no cost to enroll. Annual purchases must total a minimum of $25,000 to qualify for the rebate. So, what are you waiting for? Start earning money on your company’s Home Depot purchases now. Be sure to enter the program code BOMA when you register. Learn how to get started in this video. The 2019-2020 rebate year began March 1, 2019. Click HERE to enroll.
11:30 AM – 1:00 PM
Location: BOMA New York, 1 Penn Plaza, Ste. 2205, New York, NY
February 2nd – 5th
Location: Washington, DC
Location: Pier Sixty
Please join us in welcoming our new BOMA New York members.
If you have a candidate for membership, please contact Ami Shah, our Director of Membership and Special Events at firstname.lastname@example.org. And visit us at bomany.org for information on the difference a BOMA New York membership makes.