Backing Historic Small Restaurants: Grant Nominations Open!
A new historic preservation grant program, Backing Historic Small Restaurants – presented by American Express in partnership with the National Trust for Historic Preservation – is now accepting nominations. The deadline for submissions is Tuesday, March 9 at 11:59 pm EST. Program information and the nomination form can be found here: https://savingplaces.org/historicrestaurants
For this grant program, we need your help to identify iconic restaurants located in historic buildings that are anchors of their historic neighborhoods! Twenty-five small restaurants each will receive $40,000 in grant funds and in additional support from partners including Main Street America, AT&T Business, Dell Technologies, and National Restaurant Association.
Grant Selection Criteria for Eligible U.S. Historic Small Restaurants:
- Have experienced significant financial hardship due to the impacts of the pandemic.
- Have contributed to the neighborhood’s history and/or the identity of a particular neighborhood or community for at least 25 years.
- Be a small/independently owned restaurant located in a historic building and/or historic neighborhood.
- Preference will be given to businesses owned by underrepresented groups, including People of Color and women, who are disproportionally impacted by the pandemic.
- Priority will be given to small restaurants that have not already received significant COVID-19-related aid.
These grant funds can be used for “sprucing up” the exteriors of the restaurants as well as for marketing to support these important community anchors.
Feel free to share this news with preservation-minded allies and with iconic restaurants as well. The nomination form is straightforward to encourage wide participation. We look forward to hearing your ideas for impactful, legacy restaurants that could benefit from this grant.