Chirag T. Patel, co-founder of the Startup Development Institute and host of the YouTube show and podcast On the Grind, recently interviewed AAHOA President and CEO Chip Rogers about the association’s history, where it's headed, and what drives and inspires him as president of the largest hotel owners' association in the world. Watch it here
The Castell Project, a non-profit organization focused on increasing diversity in hospitality industry leadership, recently released a report
that sheds new light on the state of women in hospitality. The report finds, for example, that men have been 10 times more likely to be promoted to principal, partner and president levels than women. However, there has been a notable increase in the number of female executives speaking at major industry conferences, such as ALIS
. The Castell Project delivers benchmark statistics on women to help the industry improve, support and accelerate development of their high-potential women. Learn more at www.CastellProject.org
Don't miss AAHOA Day at the Georgia State Capitol in Atlanta on Feb. 13, where
attendees will have the opportunity to meet state elected officials and
engage in the public policy process. Register now.
Upcoming Webinars – February 2018
- Feb. 13 – STAR Benchmarking 101
- Feb. 13 – Save on Your Federal Taxes
- Feb. 14 – Beyond the Numbers: Visualize Your Property Performance
- Feb. 14 – FLSA Common Issues to Avoid
- Feb. 15 – STR Data: The Reports You Might Not Know About
- Feb. 15 – How to Create Brand Awareness for Your Business
- Feb. 20 – How to Hire Hotel Salespeople
- Feb. 21 – What You Need to Know About FLSA Joint Employment of Employees
- Feb. 22 – Hotels and Price Gouging: What Hotel Companies Should Know
- Feb. 27 – Your Business Structure: Now More Important Than Ever
- Feb. 28 – White Collar Exemptions for Hotel Owners
Check out the AAHOA Resource Library
to view over a hundred past webinars and other educational resources.
- March 27 – AAHOA Certified Hotel Owners (CHO) Program (last onsite class for 2018)
- March 27 – Certification in Hotel Industry Analytics (seats are going fast)
- March 27 – Human Trafficking Awareness Training
Overall, U.S. RevPAR was up last week. Independent hotels were up about 3 percent, and luxury was the strongest chain scale for branded hotels. Upper Midscale, Midscale and Economy chains at +4.4%, +3.7%, and +4.5% beat the overall U.S. hotel industry average. For the month of January, the overall industry is expected to be up 3 percent, driven in part by strength in the economy chain scale. For more, read the full report
. Also, be sure to check out the newly released Corporate Rate Negotiations
report and the December 2017 RevPar
AAHOA partners with SunTrust Robinson Humphrey (STRH) to provide access to comprehensive analysis of current economic and market metrics for the hospitality industry. STRH is a leading, full-service corporate and investment bank dedicated to helping its customers successfully manage and grow their companies through a comprehensive range of strategic advisory, capital raising, risk management, financing and investment solutions.
- $7 flat online booking fee for AAHOA member hotels
- Pay according to your budget; you control your offer and how long your offer will be valid.
- Contact Inder Sharma at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This year’s color trends were surprising to designers in the hospitality industry at first, but there are ways to make the colors workable and add to the overall experience of a hotel. (Source: Hotel News Now)
Some hotel executives welcome the idea of other players coming into the distribution space and challenging the Priceline Group and Expedia duopoly. Others expressed concerns about the growing importance and influence of Google and Airbnb. (Source: Skift)
In the wake of Marriott International announcing cuts to its group commissions, some hotel industry analysts and agents are suggesting that the lower commissions might not be ironclad and that there could be a tiered-commission structure in the works for group bookings. (Source: Travel Weekly)