Globalizing US History Survey
resources are designed to be used in any U.S. History Survey as well as IB HOA and APUSH. They were designed by Craig Perrier of Fairfax County Public Schools, in conjunction with NCHE and the Longview Foundation. Participation is free and the resource is self-enrolling. To get started, click on the link above and use the Self-Enroll option. If you do not have an account you must create one.
Irina Kostadinova, a biology high school teacher who participated in the 2013 edition of the Education Leaders’ Training Program
, was recently awarded the 2014 Bulgarian Teacher of the Year Award in the field of Science and Math. Organized by the Syndicate of the Bulgarian Teachers (SBT), the award recognizes outstanding educators who are leaders and models of excellence in teaching in their subject areas. One teacher is selected in each of the following subject areas: Pre-elementary education, Elementary education, Social Sciences, Science and Math, Art and Sports, Professional Education, Principals, School counselors and pedagogical staff for out of class activities, and Young teachers.
The Bulgarian Teacher of the Year Award is considered to be the most prestigious award of its kind in Bulgaria. The selection consists of three rounds and the selection committee members comprise of representatives of SBT, educational experts, parents, and journalists.
Please watch this video
to hear what Irina has to share with us about winning this award and also about her experiences on ELTP.
The Education Leaders' Training Program (ELTP) is sponsored by the America for Bulgaria Foundation and administered by IIE.
Application Deadline for January 2015 cohort: December 12, 2014 | Apply Online
The Global Competence Certificate
is the premier, online, graduate-level certificate program in global competence education for K-12 educators. Developed by leading experts, Teachers College, Columbia University, World Savvy, and Asia Society, this prestigious 15-month program is designed to increase the number of K–12 teachers who are highly effective in teaching global competencies. Educators can enroll to earn 12 graduate credits* or 48 Continuing Education Units (CEUs). Learn more about the Online Academic Coursework
, Global Fieldwork
and Capstone Project/Collaborative Practice Groups
Interactive Information Webinars
For more information about applying or bringing together a cohort of teachers from your school or district, contact:
*The GCC graduate credit enrollment option is currently pending approval from the New York State Education Department.
The National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y)
- The NSIL-Y program offers merit-based scholarships to study one of seven critical foreign languages: Arabic, Chinese (Mandarin), Hindi, Korean, Persian (Tajiki), Russian and Turkish.
- The program is designed to immerse participants in the cultural life of the host country, provide formal and informal language practice, and spark a lifetime interest in foreign languages and cultures.
- The application deadline for summer 2015 and academic year 2015-2016 programs is October 30, 2014. Visit the NSLI for Youth website for more information.
The Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) Abroad Program
- This program offers merit-based scholarships to spend an academic year in countries that may include Bosnia & Herzegovina, Egypt, Ghana, India, Indonesia, Macedonia, Malaysia, Mali, Morocco, Oman, Philippines, South Africa, Thailand, Tunisia, and Turkey.
- This program increases understanding between people in the United States and people in countries with significant Muslim populations. Students live with host families, attend local high schools, do community service, and complete a capstone project.
- Applications for academic year 2015-16 programs are due January 7, 2015. Visit the YES Abroad website for more information.
The Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange Program (CBYX)
- This program offers merit-based scholarships to spend an academic year in Germany.
- The program was established in 1983 to celebrate German-American friendship based on common values of democracy. Students live with host families, attend local schools, and participate in community life in Germany.
- For more information and application deadlines, visit the organization in charge of recruitment for your state.
These events are not sponsored by the Institute of International Education (IIE).