10,000 Scholarships Available to U.S. Students to Study in China
Print this Article | Send to Colleague
Dear IIENetwork Members:
We are pleased to share with you the below announcement from Carola McGiffert, Director of the 100,000 Strong Initiative at the U.S. Department of State:
If your college or university has formal, credit-transfer partnerships with any of the Chinese universities listed below, your students may be eligible for full scholarships for semester or yearlong programs in China!
In support of President Obama’s 100,000 Strong Initiative, the Chinese Ministry of Education is offering 10,000 scholarships through the China Scholarship Council for American students to study at many of their top universities. These scholarships are offered under the U.S.-China Consultation on People-to-People Exchange (CPE) and are therefore called the "CPE scholarships." They are available only to students whose schools can accept credit-transfer from their school’s Chinese partner university. See the list of approved Chinese universities below.
The scholarships cover all in-country costs, including tuition, housing, and an appropriate stipend. They do not cover airfare to China.
- To apply, study abroad offices should contact partner universities in China DIRECTLY and ask about the CPE scholarships available to your students.
- There are also scholarships available for American students to enroll directly at the Chinese universities listed below for full-degree programs. Please contact the Chinese universities directly for information on those scholarships (which are different than the CPE scholarships).
- Additional information on the 100,000 Strong Initiative can be found at www.state.gov/100000strong.
- If your university does not currently have a partnership with a Chinese university, the Department of State’s EducationUSA can help you develop one! Go to www.educationusa.state.gov for details.
- For information on U.S. government-funded scholarships to study abroad, go to www.exchanges.state.gov.
The U.S.-China relationship is perhaps the most consequential bilateral relationship of our time, and we must ensure that our young people are gaining China-related skills and knowledge to compete and succeed in the 21st century. Studying in China can help open doors for your students personally and professionally. Please encourage your students to apply for these scholarships and become one of President Obama’s 100,000 Strong!
List of Chinese Universities Where American Students Are Eligible for CPE Scholarships
RENMIN UNIVERSITY OF CHINA
BEIJING INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
CHINA AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY
BEIJING NORMAL UNIVERSITY
MINZU UNIVERSITY OF CHINA
DALIAN UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY
HARBIN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY
SHANGHAI JIAOTONG UNIVERSITY
EAST CHINA NORMAL UNIVERSITY
UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY OF CHINA
OCEAN UNIVERSITY OF CHINA
HUAZHONG UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY
CENTRAL SOUTH UNIVERSITY
SUN YAT-SEN UNIVERSITY
SOUTH CHINA UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY
UNIVERSITY OF ELECTRONIC SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY OF CHINA
XI’AN JIAOTONG UNIVERSITY
NORTHWEST POLYTECHNICAL UNIVERSITY
NORTHWEST A&F UNIVERSITY
UNIVERSITY OF INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS & ECONOMICS
TIANJIN MEDICAL UNIVERSITY
NANJING AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY
SOUTHWEST JIAOTONG UNIVERSITY
TIANJIN UNIVERSITY OF TRADITIONAL CHINESE MEDICINE
BEIJING JIAOTONG UNIVERSITY
CHINA UNIVERSITY OF GEOSCIENCES (WUHAN)
UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY BEIJING
CHINA PHARMACEUTICAL UNIVERSITY
WUHAN UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY
HUAZHONG AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY
BEIJING UNIVERSITY OF POSTS & TELECOMMUNICATIONS
NORTH CHINA ELECTRIC POWER UNIVERSITY