ON: CPA demonstrates vital role of auto propane in lowering emissions
On September 28, the CPA responded to the Ontario government’s proposed Redesigning Ontario’s Drive Clean Motor Vehicle Emissions Testing Program (EBR Registry Number 013-3867).
The CPA submission shows the vital role auto propane can play in low-emission transportation and demonstrates the game-changing advantages of its expanded use as a viable solution that can maximize emissions reductions from on-road vehicles. CPA recommendations included:
- The full inclusion and participation of the propane industry in the development of new emissions reductions projects, policies and programs.
- A predictable and modern emissions testing program that considers exemptions for propane vehicles from heavy-duty vehicle testing requirements.
- Differentiate emissions testing by type of fuel, recognizing different fuels generate different amounts of greenhouse gas emissions, pollutants, toxics and particulates emitted.
- Officially recognize the environmental advantage of auto-propane as a cost-effective clean burning alternative fuel that emits up to 98 per cent less particulate matter than diesel vehicles and 26 per cent less lifecycle greenhouse gas emissions than gasoline.
- Provide market-based incentives to industry to upgrade heavy vehicle fleets to cleaner propane vehicles through a new propane policy and program.