Water Haller: Contributing to National Solutions
Our water and wastewater sector certainly faces a lot of challenges...and the federal government seems to be very aware of these challenges. So our repeated message to all federal departments and agencies is "you can’t address these issues without us!" We emphasize that a round table of regulators, academics and private sector businesses cannot determine what we, as the frontline municipal utilities, are going to do and how we’re going to do it.
Our CWWA team has worked strategically for many years to build relationships with key federal policymakers and to build partnerships with other national and regional organizations. So whenever a federal policy team thinks, "Who ya gonna call?", they call CWWA...and we answer the call.
As THE national voice for water in Canada, we represent our municipal sector on a multitude of projects. To list just a few of those recent projects:
- National Round Table on Flood Risk with Public Safety Canada (PSC)
- National Survey on Emergency Management & Resiliency for the Water Sector with PSC and Defence Research and Development Canada (DRDC)
- serving on the National Cross-Sector Forum with PSC, RCMP, CSIS and more
- Economic Strategy Table – Regulations and Clean Tech Innovation
- National Drinking Water Guidelines on Lead with Health Canada (and with AWWA)
- Wastewater Systems Effluent Regulations with Environment Canada (and with FCM)
- Infrastructure Renewal with Infrastructure Canada and FCM
- Infrastructure Report Card with CPWA, FCM, CCA and CSCE
- Water Pricing Strategies with Canada’s Ecofiscal Commission
Most of this advocacy work is led by, or supported by, our technical committees. So if you have an interest in making a difference...get involved!