Government launches consultations on Oceans Protection Plan
The federal government recently announced the launch of new consultations on its proposed Oceans Protection Plan. Consultations will be grouped under the following topics:
- Marine Pollution Prevention and Response - improving how we prevent and respond to marine pollution incidents;
- Protecting the Marine Environment - preserving and restoring coastal marine ecosystems that are vulnerable to marine shipping;
- Managing Local Waterways - collaborating with local communities to address issues related to marine traffic;
- Partnering with Indigenous Groups and Coastal Communities – working closely with Indigenous Groups and coastal communities to protect Canada’s coasts; and
- Updating Marine Safety Rules and Regulations – updating Canada’s regulatory and legislative regime to protect people, vessels, and the environment.
The consultation page went live on September 7, 2017. Consultations are scheduled to close November 6, 2017.
Consultation page: https://letstalktransportation.ca/opp