21 individuals, 10 utilities win APPA awards; 23 earn public power manager certificates
Twenty-one individuals and 10 utilities were recognized for service to APPA and the public power industry during a June 18 general session at the APPA National Conference in Nashville. Award winners appeared on stage during a video tribute describing the achievements of each award winner. The video is posted on Public Power TV. APPA’s highest honor, the Alex Radin Distinguished Service Award, will be presented at the conference’s closing session on June 19. Winners of APPA’s other major awards for 2013 are:
James D. Donovan Individual Achievement Award
- David Walters, general manager and CEO, Michigan Public Power Agency
- John DiStasio, general manager and CEO, Sacramento Municipal Utility District, Calif.
- Sharon A. Staz, general manager and treasurer, Kennebunk Light and Power District, Maine
Alan Richardson Statesmanship Award
Jorge Carrasco, general manager and CEO, Seattle City Light, Wash.
Larry Hobart Seven Hats Award
- Robert Anderson, light commissioner, Cozad Board of Public Works, Neb.
- Hal Becker, general manager, Delano Municipal Utilities, Minn.
- Allen Coyne, town manager, Julesburg, Colo.
- Kevin Gladden, village administrator, Genoa, Ohio
- Chuck Tibbetts, director of utilities, Aitkin, Minn.
- Jim Gibney, general manager, Wahoo Utilities, Neb.
- Jim Mardis, former town manager, Pittsboro, Ind.
- Pat Davison, public works director, Imperial, Neb.
Harold Kramer-John Preston Personal Service Award
- Brent McKinney, manager of electric transmission and distribution, City Utilities of Springfield, Mo.
- Lynne Tejeda, general manager and CEO, Keys Energy Services, Key West, Fla.
- Brad Spooner, manager of environmental affairs, MEAG Power, Ga.
Spence Vanderlinden Public Official Award
- Bill Conrad, mayor, Newberry, Fla.
- Paul Fisk, mayor, Lodi, Wis.
- Dennis J. Walstra, mayor, Sioux Center, Iowa
- Dan Hodges, executive director, Colorado Association of Municipal Utilities
- Ed Krieger, director, Piqua Power System, Ohio
- Chip Merriam, vice president of legislative, regulatory and compliance, Orlando Utilities Commission, Fla.
E.F. Scattergood System Achievement Award
- Kirkwood Electric Department, Mo.
Community Service Award
- City Utilities of Springfield, Mo.
- Fayetteville Public Works Commission, N.C.
- Holland Board of Public Works, Mich.
- Hopkinsville Electric System, Ky.
Energy Innovator Awards
- Riverside Public Utilities, Calif.
- Ocala, Fla.
- Columbia Water & Light, Mo.
Public Power Wind Award
- Snohomish County Public Utility District, Wash.
- Southern California Public Power Authority
In addition, APPA recognized 23 individuals who have completed the APPA Academy’s Public Power Manager Certificate program. They are:
- Brett Benedict, Director of Financial Services, Electrical District No. 3 of Pinal County, Maricopa, Ariz.
- Lavone Brady, district manager, Navajo Tribal Utility Authority, Fort Defiance, Ariz.
- John Crooks, utilities director, Shakopee, Public Utilities Commission, Minn.
- Donald Eckert, assistant general manager-finance, Lakeland Electric, Fla.
- Wesley Gray, chief operations officer, Grays Harbor Public Utility District, Aberdeen, Wash.
- Brian Johnson, resource analyst, Emerald People's Utility District, Eugene, Ore.
- Daniel Lippert, senior electrical engineer, Burbank Water and Power, Calif.
- Rob Mayes, city manager, Farmington, N.M.
- Danette Scudder, member services manager, Tennessee Valley Public Power Association, Chattanooga, Tenn.
- Kenneth Stone, energy services & accounting manager, Braintree Electric Light Department, Mass.
- Roger Warehime, manager, energy management and external relations, Owatonna Public Utilities, Minn.
- Ryan Williams, assistant director, Columbia Water and Light Department, Mo.
Nine of the 2013 Public Power Manager Certificate graduates are from Missouri River Energy Services, Sioux Falls, S.D. They are:
- Denise Amundson, senior accountant;
- Deborah Birgen, manager of state legislative relations;
- Kurt Hauser, technical coordinator;
- Joni Livingston, energy services manager;
- Brent Moeller, manager of generation resources;
- Jan Schmitz, manager of investment and credit;
- Rob Scott-Hovland, energy services field coordinator;
- Mrg Simon, legal director;
- Gerald Tielke, manager of operations;
- Karen Weeden, senior rate analyst; and
- Terry Wolf, transmission services manager.